Audio By Carbonatix
Government has expressed its condolences to the bereaved families of the 15 galamsey (small scale miners) operators, who lost their lives through a landslide at Dopoase in the Wassa Amenfi East District of the Western Region on Wednesday(November 11).
Mr Henry Ford Kamel, Deputy Minister of Lands and Natural Resources offered the condolences on behalf of the government at the weekend at a press conference in Takoradi.
"The government wishes to take this opportunity to extend sincere condolences to all the bereaved families and persons who lost their lives in this terrible tragedy which is without doubt, one of the worst mining incident in the history of this country."
Mr Kamel said his ministry was particularly saddened that 14 of the 15 bodies that have been retrieved so far were women.
He said the rescue team had called off their operations to discover other missing persons due to the likelihood of another landslide in the area.
He said the ministry was committed to ensuring that the mining industry adopted the highest standards of health and safety.
Mr Kamel indicated that despite efforts to promote the sector, an estimated 300,000 small scale miners continued to operate illegally without due regard to safety regulations recommended by the Minerals Commission and the Environmental Protection Agency.
He said government had designated several enclaves suitable for small scale mining in the Western, Ashanti, Brong Ahafo, Eastern and Northern regions.
He urged small scale mining entities to register with the district officers of the Minerals Commission to secure access to these enclaves and gain the necessary technical support and credit facilities to promote their business.
"It is our sincere hope that this unfortunate tragedy would compel all galamsey operators to register and take advantage of the facilities offered by the government to improve the safety and profitability of their operations" Mr Kamel said.
He said a security task forces had been formed in all mining areas to check the activities of galamsey operators.
Mr Kamel said constitutionally acceptable methods would be used to put a stop to illegal activities in the mining sector.
He said the mining sector would witness a lot of reforms soon through a number of legislations to make it vibrant.
Mr Kamel said disbursement of royalties from mining would be published in the media and whilst guidelines would be issued on how the money should be used.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Black Starlets must ‘qualify for 2026 World Cup’ – Kurt Okraku
9 minutes -
NACOC nabs 60-year-old arms and drug dealer at Kundungu
13 minutes -
Over 2,000 churches in Greater Accra operating without registration – Ahmed Ibrahim
23 minutes -
Bagbin calls for credible third political force to strengthen Ghana’s democracy
46 minutes -
Trade Ministry condemns terrorist attack on Ghanaian tomato traders in Burkina Faso
55 minutes -
Businesses can recover input tax under new VAT system — GRA
56 minutes -
Funeral of Togbega Kwaku Ayim IV enters second week
1 hour -
White House says Iran would be ‘wise’ to make deal, as US ramps up military presence
1 hour -
New VAT regime aimed at simplifying tax system, not raising costs— GRA official
1 hour -
Gas explosion kills 13 in Pakistan’s Karachi, collapsing building
1 hour -
Ghanaian optometrist, Randolph Kwaw, wins Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research award
2 hours -
FDA shuts down 16 Accra eateries including The Cheesecake House and Alora Beach Resort
2 hours -
An Open letter to the Vice president of the republic of Ghana
2 hours -
South Korea’s ex-President Yoon given life in prison for insurrection
2 hours -
Take advantage of growing opportunities in agriculture – Deputy Agric Minister tells youth
2 hours
