Audio By Carbonatix
World 800m champion Caster Semenya insisted she will race this season, hours after being told to wait for gender-test results to be revealed.
The 19-year-old has not raced since winning in Berlin, but was reportedly due to run in a meeting at Stellenbosch in South Africa on Tuesday.
However, Athletics South Africa (ASA) said she must wait for governing body the IAAF to reveal the test results.
Semenya said her "fundamental and human rights" were breached since her win.
"Since my victory in the female 800m event at the Berlin World Championships in August last year, I have been subjected to unwarranted and invasive scrutiny of the most intimate and private details of my being," she stated.
"Some of the occurrences leading up to, and immediately following, the Berlin World Championships have infringed on not only my rights as an athlete but also my fundamental and human rights, including my rights to dignity and privacy."
The South African, who did not give a date for her planned return to racing, described the gender verification case as "a very simple matter".
"I am an athlete first and foremost and it is vital for my competitiveness, my well-being and for my preparations for events during the European summer that I measure my performance against other athletes," said Semenya.
"I have constantly taken advice from an esteemed panel of medical and legal professionals and other parties who are close to me.
"I have been privy to and have evaluated all the relevant information they have placed before me including current IAAF rules and policies.
"This information has also been placed in the hands of the IAAF. I am of the firm view that there is no impediment to me competing in athletics competitions."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 minutes -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
9 minutes -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
9 minutes -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
10 minutes -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
16 minutes -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
16 minutes -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
21 minutes -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
27 minutes -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
32 minutes -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
37 minutes -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
40 minutes -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
44 minutes -
Massive crowd turns out for Brock Royal Family’s Osu Duku Walk
45 minutes -
Aboboyaa Group donates two motorcycles to NACOC Ashanti Command
50 minutes -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
57 minutes