Audio By Carbonatix
The Volta regional branch of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) has suspended Jim Yao Morti, one of the disqualified parliamentary aspirants for the Ketu South constituency primary.
Another contender, a former MP for the area, Albert Zigah, has also been disqualified by the party.
The disqualification of the duo brings to two the number of candidates seeking to unseat the incumbent Member of Parliament (MP), Fifi Kwetey, who is also the Minister for Food and Agriculture.
Mr Morti's suspension took effect on Friday November 13, 2015.
The party, in a statement, said the decision had been necessitated by what it described as the "unacceptable" behaviour of Morti and his supporters after his disqualification from the November 21, 2015 primaries.
Court Action
Unsatisfied with the turn of events, Morti has sued the party at the High Court in Accra seeking, i among other reliefs, an injunction on Saturday's primary in the constituency.
According to the writ, he met all requirements stated in the NDC guidelines for the elections and as such could not be disqualified.
He is therefore praying the court for a perpetual injunction on the parliamentary primary in the constituency until his name is included on the ballot paper.
Morti has cited the NDC, the National Chairman, Vetting Committee, the Volta Regional NDC Chairman, the Ketu South Constituency Chairman and Fifi Kwetey as the defendants in the suit.
He said "even though no communication has been channelled to the plaintiff directly, the plaintiff got to know that the reason for the delay and actions of some of the executives of the NDC to stall his candidature was to assist Mr Kwetey who had lost touch with the constituency."
Reliefs
Aside general damages and costs, Morti wants a declaration that he satisfied the conditions set by the NDC and is eligible to contest the parliamentary primaries of the party in the Ketu South constituency.
He wants a declaration that the action of the NDC is against his fundamental human rights, the constitution and laid down guidelines of the party.
The Ketu South NDC parliamentary aspirant also wants the court to rule that "the Ghana Police Service has cleared the Plaintiff of any wrongdoing and have written letters to that effect and same should not bar the Plaintiff from contesting as NDC's Parliamentary Candidate for the Ketu South constituency for the 2016 Parliamentary Election."
The plaintiff further wants an order directed at the party to include him in contesting in its primaries for the election of its 2016 parliamentary candidates for the Ketu South constituency.
Latest Stories
-
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
5 minutes -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
13 minutes -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
14 minutes -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
33 minutes -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
37 minutes -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
46 minutes -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
46 minutes -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
1 hour -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
1 hour -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
2 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
3 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
3 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
4 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
4 hours