Audio By Carbonatix
David Villa will be unveiled as a Barcelona player on Friday after completing a £34.2m move from Valencia.
The Spain international has signed a four-year deal and is the first summer capture for the Catalan club, with Cesc Fabregas also said to be a target.
Villa, 28, is due in Barcelona on Thursday and is booked for a medical.
The top scorer at Euro 2008 despite missing the final through injury, he had reportedly attracted interest from Manchester United and Chelsea.
The man from Asturias, in the north of Spain, is a regular in his country's first team and will be highly fancied to make a big impact at the World Cup.
His arrival at Barcelona is likely to lead to increased speculation over the futures of strikers Thierry Henry and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
After a board meeting at Valencia on Wednesday morning, Manuel Llorente, the president of the club known as "Los Che", said they had accepted Barca's offer.
"We have sold David Villa to Barcelona for 40 million euros," he told a news conference at the Mestalla.
"As everyone knows we could have done this deal last year but we thought at that moment it was best to keep our squad together to try and get into the Champions League.
"We have achieved that aim and finished third in the league, and he has contributed a lot towards this. We think it is a good sale and necessary for the economic situation of the club."
Barcelona's outgoing president Joan Laporta claimed on Tuesday the club were "satisfied" with the 21-goal contribution of Ibrahimovic in his first season since arriving from Inter Milan.
Henry appears to be on the verge of a move to Major League Soccer, with Laporta revealing there was "a lot of interest" in the 32-year-old French forward from the United States.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
17 minutes -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
20 minutes -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
26 minutes -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
33 minutes -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
39 minutes -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
39 minutes -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
40 minutes -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
46 minutes -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
46 minutes -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
51 minutes -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
57 minutes -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
1 hour -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
1 hour -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
1 hour -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
1 hour