Audio By Carbonatix
The Nigerian Football Federation's top two officials have been sacked in a bid to appease the country's president who suspended the team after the World Cup.
NFF President Sani Lulu and Vice-President Amanze Ugbulam were fired as the federation asked President Goodluck Jonathan to reconsider his ban.
Fifa has threatened to expel Nigeria from world football unless the Nigerian president lifts the two-year ban.
It has imposed a deadline of 1700 BST on Monday for ban to be lifted.
Fifa rules prohibit government intervention in its members' affairs.
The NFF said the two sackings, as well as the dismissal of a member of the federation's technical committee, were carried out "to tender a resolved apology" to all Nigerians over the team's performance in South Africa.
The NFF also promised "to take urgent steps to address the maladministration of football in the country".
The country's House of Representatives has passed a resolution asking the Nigerian president to reverse his order, fearing sanctions.
Jonathan's government announced on Wednesday that the NFF would be dissolved and an interim board put in place.
"President Goodluck Jonathan has directed that Nigeria withdraws from international competition for two years to enable the country to put its house in order," said special presidential adviser Ima Niboro.
However, Fifa rules clearly state that national associations can be expelled if governments are seen to be interfering with the way they operate.
"Fifa has sent a letter to the Nigeria Football Federation indicating that the government of Nigeria has until Monday at 6pm to cancel its direction to withdraw Nigeria's participation from all Fifa and Caf competitions for the next two years," said Fifa communications director Nicolas Maingot on Friday.
"Also the management committee set up by the Nigeria government will not be recognised by Fifa."
If Nigeria are suspended, the country cannot participate in competitive matches or club games in African competitions.
"A suspension goes beyond the suspension of the national teams," added Maingot. "It also freezes financial help and no referees can participate in international competition."
Fifa executive committee member and former Nigeria government minister Dr Amos Adamu will be in the country on Monday "for a last mediation attempt".
The governing body's president Sepp Blatter had already warned French president Nicolas Sarkozy of possible sanctions after he pledged to personally lead an investigation into France's acrimonious World Cup campaign.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
26 minutes -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
29 minutes -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
35 minutes -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
42 minutes -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
48 minutes -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
48 minutes -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
49 minutes -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
55 minutes -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
55 minutes -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
60 minutes -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
1 hour -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
1 hour -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
1 hour -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
1 hour -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
1 hour