Audio By Carbonatix
French police have detained football internationals Franck Ribery and Karim Benzema as part of an investigation into an alleged under-age prostitution ring, legal and police sources say.
Earlier, they were questioned at the request of an investigating magistrate looking into allegations that a Paris nightclub gave access to under-age girls working as prostitutes.
Police have until Thursday morning to decide whether to release them.
Both players have denied wrong-doing.
One of the women who is alleged to have met clients at the club while she was under age, Zahia Dehar, has already told investigators that she had paid sex with the two players.
Mr Ribery's lawyer told reporters in front of the police station where her client was questioned, that Mr Ribery had had no idea the woman was under 18 when he had paid for sex with her in 2009.
"It is an intentional offence, he would have to know her age, which wasn't the case," Sophie Bottai said.
"She would have to look minor, which wasn't the case; she would have to tell him she was minor, which wasn't the case, since all over the press she claimed that she was adult and that she was more than 20 years old."
Under-age sex illegal
Under French law, paid sex with someone under the age of 18 is regarded as sex with a minor - even if the general age of consent is 15 - and punishable by three years in jail and a fine of 45,000 euros (£38,000).
Ms Dehar, now 18, said she never told her age either to Mr Ribery, who plays for Bayern Munich, or Mr Benzema, a Real Madrid player.
Mr Benzema has previously denied any wrongdoing through his lawyer.
Earlier this year, police launched a raid on a Champs-Elysees nightclub called the Zaman Cafe and detained 18 girls on suspicion of prostitution.
Ms Dehar was not among them, although her name was already known to investigators, who had been carrying out phone taps on the cafe's managers, says the BBC's Hugh Schofield.
Credit: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
42 minutes -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
45 minutes -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
51 minutes -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
58 minutes -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
1 hour -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
1 hour -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
1 hour -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
1 hour -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
1 hour -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
1 hour -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
1 hour -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
1 hour -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
2 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
2 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
2 hours