Audio By Carbonatix
Two hundred retired workers of the Ghana Commercial Bank (GCB) have resolved to drag their former employer to court for failing to put them on the bank's special pension scheme.
The ex-workers, who include general managers, branch managers, managers, divisional heads and some junior staff, said they had decided to resort to the courts because for seven years their employer had failed to settle the issue amicably.
The Chairman of the Retired Staff Association of GCB (RESAG), Mr Alex Yaw Nsiah, announced the resolution when he briefed the press in Accra on Thursday after an emergency meeting.
He explained that the objective of the special pension scheme was to reward long service and devotion to duty, as well as serve as incentive and security for members of staff generally.
Mr Nsiah said the irony was that staff who were declared redundant in 1989 were presently benefiting from the scheme, while those who were encouraged to stay longer had been denied it, contrary to the bank's collective bargaining agreement.
He said the pension scheme clearly spelt out that members of staff who, at the time of their compulsory or voluntary retirement, had served the bank for a minimum period of 15 years qualified for the scheme.
Mr Nsiah said the ill-treatment meted out to the loyal hardworking staff did not augur well for its corporate image, since it could send the wrong signals to the young staff, as well as investors.
He said it was unfair for the bank to write to its branches in 2003 notifying them of the abrogation of the scheme with effect from December 1990.
He explained that during that period, all the 200 staff had qualified for the special pension scheme and should not have been excluded from it.
Mr Nsiah said the effort of the bank to pay the redundant workers who were described as "dead wood" was an insult to those who gave of their best to serve the bank.
He said the move to pay some workers and deny others was meant to divide the front of workers to enable the management to knock their heads together.
He therefore urged the ex-workers not to succumb easily to the divide and rule tactics but to fight for what was due them.
Credit: The Graphic
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GHS condemns attacks on staff, pledges enhanced security measures
6 minutes -
Ghana must strengthen cybersecurity amid online exploitation concerns – Gloria Amenu
28 minutes -
Demand TikTok remove explicit videos of victims – Gloria Amenu urges gov’t
55 minutes -
Gender Ministry must provide psychological care for exploited women – Gloria Amenu
60 minutes -
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
2 hours -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
3 hours -
Government bans land transit of cooking oil; orders crackdown on customs complicity
3 hours -
NPA engages industry stakeholders on 24-hour economy pilot in petroleum sector
4 hours -
Ablakwa outlines key bilateral agreements with Burkina Faso to boost trade, security and border cooperation
4 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso deepen security ties after terrorists kill 8 Ghanaians in Titao
5 hours -
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
5 hours -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
5 hours -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
6 hours -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
6 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
7 hours
