Audio By Carbonatix
Photo and video sharing app Instagram Tuesday announced a major change in how videos can be presented. They can now be as long as 60 seconds, up from the former 15 second limit.
Instagram made the switch in a week that followed a large online backlash to a new way of presenting photos. The new algorithm showcases posts Instagram thinks you want to see, instead of whatever the latest photo is.
Instagram announced this last week, and many users thought the changes would start this week, which Instagram corrected online. The changes are being tested with a small group of users, and won’t be rolled out for weeks, if not months out, Instagram spokesman Gabe Madway said.
A Change.org petition to stop the changes has attracted over 300,000 signatures. Celebrities like John Mayer and Kendall Jenner chimed in, saying to leave everything like it is now.
“We're listening and we assure you nothing is changing with your feed right now,” Instagram said in a tweet. “We promise to let you know when changes roll out broadly.”
Sue Bryce, a Los Angeles photographer with 75,000 followers on Instagram, spoke out against the changes.
"I didn't like it when Facebook did it either," she says. "I love linear timelines. I follow people I like and I like 95% of my feed daily because I'm a huge advocate for engagement --that's what social is. What is the point of following someone and never liking anything or commenting. They will never know you are there."
Meanwhile, the new video usage rules began rolling out Tuesday, and Instagram says they will be available to the entire network of 400 million monthly users “in the coming months.”
Instagram says time people spent watching videos on Instagram increased by more than 40 percent in the last 6 months.
Latest Stories
-
Bond market: Turnover declines 42.47% to GH¢2.27bn
3 minutes -
Ghana faces 130 million gallon daily water supply deficit — GWL
4 minutes -
Benjamin Asare ‘not at the level’ of Black Stars – Fmr Kotoko management member
7 minutes -
GFA Prez Kurt Okraku targets AFCON triumph
9 minutes -
GWL MD identifies Kasoa as major hub of illegal water connections
10 minutes -
‘He subjected me to constant, severe, chronic violence’ — Woman breaks 50-year silence on alleged abuse by Pastor father
23 minutes -
Illegal connections cost GWL GH₵8.6 Million between August–December 2025
32 minutes -
WPL 2025/26: Hasaacas Ladies move to top of Southern Zone as Ampem Darkoa continue lead
48 minutes -
Ghana Water Limited needs over GH₵3.5bn to replace ageing pipelines — MD
1 hour -
Ageing water plants to blame for persistent water shortages — GWL boss
1 hour -
National Security Strategy gathering dust while Ghanaians die in Burkina Faso — Kwesi Aning
2 hours -
‘Not one warning issued’- Prof Aning criticises gov’t over failure to alert tomato traders on Burkina Faso risk
3 hours -
Today’s Front pages : Tuesday, February 17, 2026
3 hours -
Ghana, Spain deepen agribusiness ties as GB Foods calls on Trade Minister, unveils 6k-acre tomato project
3 hours -
Our Alhaji of Radio Univers is gone
3 hours
