Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana’s participation at the World Amputee football Championship in Argentina suffered a setback as the team failed to fly out last night as scheduled.
Fifteen players and seven officials were expected to travel to Argentina last night but lack of funds for plane tickets meant the trip had to be boycotted.
Government had earlier promised to take care of the cost of the team’s participation after initial setbacks to raise an estimated 80,000 cedis for the tournament.
The team which had secured visas for the games expected government to fulfill its promise but they were left stranded at their camping base in Osu.
When Joy Sports contacted Deputy Sports Minister Nii Nortey Duah about the situation, he denied any government promise to the Amputee team.
However Adjetey Sowah who manages the team said the deputy Minister was being dishonest.
He was enraged by the situation because in his opinion, the development will only seek to deepen the discrimination against persons living with disabilities.
He said when the Black Stars were participating in the World Cup in South Africa, the government sponsored hundreds of funs to go and cheer up the players.
Mr. Adjetey Sowah said it was regrettable that the same government was refusing to support just the players of the national amputee team to go to Argentina for the games.
A few of the player’s joy Sports spoke to at the camping base in Osu believe they have been discriminated against.
They said they were determined to raise the flag of Ghana high at the games but the nation had let them down.
Ghana is drawn in Group C alongside Turkey, El Salvador, Liberia and Algéria. Ghana’s Group opener is on Saturday. The tournament runs from October 14-27.
Source: Joy Sports/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
2 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
2 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
2 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
2 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
2 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
2 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
2 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
2 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
2 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
3 hours