Audio By Carbonatix
Former Attorney-General, Martin Lamisi Amidu has filed a suit opposing an application filed to reverse the cross-examination of businessman Alfred Woyome over GHC51.2 million wrongfully paid him.
He argued in the suit filed at the Supreme Court Friday that the application by counsel of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) financier was baseless and should be thrown out.
Mr Amidu asserted that “The mere allegation that the 3rd Defendant/Applicant [Mr Woyome] is dissatisfied with and aggrieved by the said ruling or that there had been misdirection or a series of them is not a fair, just, or special circumstance warranting an application for the grant of stay of proceeding in this action.”
The much-awaited opportunity for the former Attorney-General to cross-examine the NDC businessman over how he spent the money unjustifiably paid him by government was dimmed when Mr Woyome’s lawyers filed a writ for a stay of an application on Thursday.
Mr Amidu had won an application to cross-examine Mr Woyome after the Attorney-General Marietta Brew-Opong withdrew from the same process claiming the businessman had provided a payment plan to offset the GHC51.2 million.
A day to the showdown at the apex court, Mr Woyome’s lawyers filed a writ praying the Court to reverse the November 16 ruling which granted Mr Amidu the opportunity to cross-examine their client.
A copy of Mr Woyome's suit intercepted by Joy News read:
“TAKE NOTICE that counsel for and on behalf of the applicant herein will move this honorable court praying for an order for the reversal of the ruling dated 16th November 2016 of His Lordship Anin Yeboah JSC sitting as a single justice in the afore-mentioned case."
Displeased with Mr Woyome’s stay of application, Mr Amidu has filed a countersuit demanding the Court to allow him to quiz the businessman in the interest of the nation.
He said the action of counsels of Mr Woyome was aimed at subverting the order of the Supreme Court in its November 16 ruling.
“The public interest that I represent as the Plaintiff/1st Respondent will suffer greater hardship and inconvenience if the request of the applicant was granted,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod hasn’t made any losses; Afenyo-Markin’s claim is ‘hallucinatory’ — Sammy Gyamfi
1 minute -
Black Star International Film Festival unveils 2026 key art
9 minutes -
Trump threatens Oman over Iran talks as efforts to reopen Strait of Hormuz continue
12 minutes -
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
15 minutes -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
17 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
23 minutes -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
36 minutes -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
49 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
53 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
56 minutes -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
1 hour -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
1 hour -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
1 hour -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
1 hour -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
2 hours