Audio By Carbonatix
The trial of two persons accused of murdering former Ashanti Regional Chairman of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA), Samuel Ennin, is to go before the criminal assizes in February, this year.
It would be the third time the two accused persons, Kwame Ayew and Sherif Kabore, who are already serving long prison terms over other cases, would go before the criminal assizes.
A State Attorney at the Attorney General’s (AG’s) office in Kumasi, Mr R Osei-Hwere, told the Daily Graphic “this time we hope to make a head-way in completing the case.”
In the previous two attempts, the trial did not travel the full length because of what the AG’s office described as” certain difficulties.”
Under the country’s criminal jurisprudence, that meant the trial had to be truncated and restart all over again.
“By the laws of the land, failure to complete a case in assizes period means the case will have to start all over again,” the state
attorney said.
This is so because new jurors had to be appointed every year to sit on cases listed for the assizes.
Mr Osei-Hwere explained that the previous trials could not go the full length because of the absence of certain key prosecution witnesses.
About four years ago, the GJA honoured its promise to give the police GH¢1,000 if they were able to apprehend the perpetrators of the heinous crime.
The slain former Ashanti Regional GJA chairman, who was also the News Editor of Ashh FM in Kumasi, was sitting over drinks with some colleagues at Liberal Spot, a drinking joint in Kumasi on the night of February 9, 2007, when two armed men stormed the place and shot him in the midsection and the neck.
The gunmen, who were using a VW Jetta saloon car with registration number AS 5598 W, arrived at the spot firing indiscriminately.
According to eyewitnesses, the gunmen also took away mobile phone from their victims.
In April 2007, the police paraded Sheriff Kabore and Kwame Ayew, in front of journalists in Kumasi and claimed they were the killers of Ennin.
Police however said in their investigations that the murder was purely connected to robbery.
Meanwhile, the Ashanti Regional Chairman of the GJA, Nana Yaw Osei, has expressed disappointment about the way the case had been handled.
“I am tempted to believe that the police did not do thorough investigations into the issue and perhaps the GJA rushed in parting
the GH¢1,000 to them.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Farewell, Dr. Abubakari Sidick Ahmed – A doyen of Ghanaian media
4 minutes -
It’s time to treat the OSP as what it was meant to be: An institution, not an experiment
15 minutes -
Police urge vigilance in health facilities following baby theft incident at Mamobi
19 minutes -
Ghana must invest in security intelligence to protect traders from terror—Security Analyst
23 minutes -
GITAC President warns Burkina Faso attack could hit Ghana’s agricultural trade
25 minutes -
Mali Sports Ministry orders Football Association to sack Tom Saintfiet
25 minutes -
Minority threatens to summon Finance Minister over cocoa payment delays
30 minutes -
Don’t share or download viral video circulated by foreign national – Sam George warns public
31 minutes -
Suspect in Mamobi Polyclinic baby theft incident disguised as a nurse – Police
41 minutes -
Producer Price Inflation for January 2026 declines marginally to 1.6%
47 minutes -
JoyNews’ Noella Yalley named UniMAC Students’ Council Public Relations Officer
47 minutes -
Nsawam Medium Security Prison shows love to children at Nsawam Government Hospital
58 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Managing change without disruption
58 minutes -
Gov’t confirms identity of suspect in viral intimate video case as Russian
1 hour -
Photos: Ghana Armed Forces evacuates injured Ghanaian traders after terrorist attack in Burkina Faso
1 hour
