Audio By Carbonatix
Four persons were on Friday sentenced to a total jail term of 200 years for their involvement in a robbery on the Agona Amenfi-Sefwi-Bekwai road in the Western Region last month.
They pleaded guilty to the charges of conspiracy to commit crime and robbery and were each sentenced to 50 years imprisonment with hard labour.
The convicts are Kwadwo Antwi, 30, Yaw Adarkwa, 50, Adams Chamogo, 42 and Desmond Cobbina, 42.
Prosecuting, DSP Albert Adiita, told the court, presided over by Mr. Samuel Obeng Diawuo that, the complainant, the Manager of Aba Sinapi Trust, a financial company at Sefwi Wiaso, was travelling with six other passengers on the Agona Amenfi-Sefwi-Bekwai road at 5:30pm on July 23, when the incident occurred.
He said that on reaching the Akwei Allah section of the road, the convicts and two others, Ebenezer Sam, 37 and Kofi Abotsi, 21, wearing masks and armed with three locally made manufactured pistols attacked a commercial vehicle and they robbed Mr Obeng of an amount of GH¢5,000 contained in a bag which belonged to the company and bolted.
DSP Adiita said after sharing the booty the robbers hid the locally manufactured guns and six cartridges on a cola nut plantation and as the owner of the farm was weeding, he came across the weapons and reported the matter to the police who retrieved them.
“After careful investigations, the police arrested the armed robbers and they were charged with the offence,” he said.
Meanwhile, the two other accused persons, Sam and Abotsi, were remanded in police custody to appear again on September 3, after they pleaded not guilty to the charges of conspiracy to commit crime and robbery.
Ten mobile phones were found in the possession of Sam, who is a welder and the ring leader of the gang which has been terrorising residents and passengers since July, this year, along Wassa Akropong and Agona Amenfi Sefwi Bekwai corridors.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
14 minutes -
Communique: Democracy Not for Sale Forum – Ho Edition
34 minutes -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer
35 minutes -
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
48 minutes -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
1 hour -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
1 hour -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
2 hours -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
2 hours -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
2 hours -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
2 hours -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
2 hours -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
2 hours -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
2 hours -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
2 hours