Audio By Carbonatix
Fifa president Sepp Blatter is against age restrictions for officials in soccer's governing body although he would be prepared to accept a limit on the length of time they can hold office, he said on Wednesday.
The 76-year-old Swiss said he was also opposed to standing areas in soccer stadiums, placing him on a collision course with both the Bundesliga and the national league in his homeland.
"I'm in favour of limiting the length of time officials can serve but against an age limit," he told Germany's Sport Bild magazine.
"Capabilites have nothing to do with age. There are 70-year-olds who are young in the head. But a mandate limit could have a chance."
A draft revision of Fifa's statutes includes a proposal to impose an age limit of 72 on officials at the time they are elected. It would also limit the Fifa president to two four-year mandates and the executive committee members to three four-year mandates.
The proposal is due to be discussed at Fifa's annual Congress in Mauritius next year.
Paraguay's Nicolas Leoz is the oldest member of Fifa's executive committee at 83, while senior vice-president Julio Grondona, 80, has been on the committee since 1988.
Blatter is in his fourth term as Fifa president, though he has repeated that he does not intend to stand again at the next election in 2015.
Blatter said he remained unconvinced by the popularity of standing areas in Germany's Bundesliga.
"We preach to the whole world to do away with standing places," he said. "In Colombia, the stadiums were rebuilt because of the world under-20 championship, now families can go to matches, it is going really well.
"Everyone sits down and that is good, it's good for the safety."
"The Bundesliga is the only big league in Europe which still has standing places."
The Swiss Super League also permits standing-room and earlier this year, Fifa backed down from partially funding a new stadium in its home city of Zurich because plans included a small area of terracing.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
42 seconds -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
3 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
9 minutes -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
22 minutes -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
35 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
39 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
42 minutes -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
50 minutes -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
1 hour -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
1 hour -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
1 hour -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
1 hour -
MTTD to make Accra model city for safe riding – ACP Dr Samuel Sasu Mensah
1 hour -
NPP Upper West eyes 2028 comeback; dismisses vote-buying allegations in regional executive elections
1 hour -
Minaata Moomin defeats Nancy Dery in NPP Upper West Regional Women’s Organiser election
1 hour