Audio By Carbonatix
Versatile Ghanaian midfielder, Michael Essien, who made a season loan switch to Real Madrid from Chelsea, has pledged to work hard to help Real Madrid defend the La Liga title it won last season.
The 29-year-old last Friday agreed to join his former boss, Jose Mourinho, at the Santiago Bernabeu after several clubs, including Arsenal and Everton made efforts to sign him.
Essien, speaking in an interview with Real Madrid TV said he was pleased to play for Real Madrid and is determined to leave an indelible mark on the renowned club.
According to him, he is “really looking forward to” playing for the club, adding, “It is a new adventure for me. I’m very ready to work hard and do everything for Real Madrid to defend,” the La Liga title they won last season.
Real Madrid is hoping to bag its tenth Champions League title this season, a feat the midfielder disclosed he is ready to help the team achieve.
He said it is his primary aim “to help Real Madrid win trophies so far as I am here, and to defend the La Liga [title]. Hopefully if we can add the Champions League to it, it will be a very great season for us.”
Essien has suffered injuries that have kept him out of play for a greater part of last season.
He affirmed that he is “very fit,” and is “looking forward to enjoying my football.”
The Ghanaian midfielder disclosed that although there were a lot of clubs hoping to sign the Ghanaian, he opted to play for Jose Mourinho, popularly known as the Special One, due to the fatherly bond he has with him.
“He is like a daddy to me, he knows me very well and he knows what I can do. I am very happy to be here and work under him,” he said.
Essien described Mourinho as a “tough” coach who “knows how to get the best out of his players,” and is therefore ready to play any position he puts him to help the team.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod hasn’t made any losses; Afenyo-Markin’s claim is ‘hallucinatory’ — Sammy Gyamfi
8 minutes -
Black Star International Film Festival unveils 2026 key art
15 minutes -
Trump threatens Oman over Iran talks as efforts to reopen Strait of Hormuz continue
18 minutes -
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
21 minutes -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
23 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
29 minutes -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
42 minutes -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
55 minutes -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
59 minutes -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
1 hour -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
1 hour -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
1 hour -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
1 hour -
NTC launches 2026 Ghana Teacher Prize to celebrate outstanding educators
1 hour -
Hanan Abdul-Hamid cannot be forced to face trial without lawyer — Dame
2 hours