Audio By Carbonatix
Former Germany captain Michael Ballack is poised to join Western Sydney Wanderers, picking the Australian A-League newcomers over offers from the Middle East and US, a report said Thursday.
After Sydney FC's signing of Italian superstar Alessandro Del Piero last week, the two-time World Cup star is expected to sign with the Wanderers next week, football website The World Game said.
Citing German sources, the site side 2002 World Cup finalist Ballack, who turns 36 next week, has opted for the Australian side in a one-year deal worth in excess of Aus$1 million (US$1 million).
"Michael is excited by the prospect of coming to a great city like Sydney and being a part of a new project in an emerging football country," the site quoted a source as saying.
"He has kept himself very fit and obviously the match fitness will come quickly from that.
"He will certainly be in Australia for the first game (October 6) and over the next few days the finer details will be sorted out."
Ballack, who scored 42 goals in 98 appearances for his country, has just left Bayer Leverkusen after a two-year stint in the Bundesliga, following four years with Chelsea in the English Premier League.
Football Federation Australia's head of the A-League Damien De Bohun said the fact that Ballack is even linked to a move to Australia is an important step in the domestic game's growth.
"There's all sorts of rumours flying around but the fact that someone like Ballack would even contemplate coming to the A-League is huge," De Bohun said. "Four or five years ago that wasn't a conversation people were even prepared to have."
Del Piero, 37, opted for Sydney FC ahead of clubs including Premier League giants Liverpool on a two-year contract reportedly worth US$2 million a season.
His arrival has been hailed as a significant moment for the A-League, which is entering its eighth season but has struggled over the years with patchy crowds and financial troubles.
There are reports that former England international forward Emile Heskey has also agreed to sign for the Newcastle Jets.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama won’t protect anyone linked to AKSA bribery scandal – Deputy AG
8 minutes -
Keeny Ice celebrates landmark Wembley performance, thanks Stonebwoy after BHIM Festival UK
25 minutes -
GoldBod hasn’t made any losses; Afenyo-Markin’s claim is ‘hallucinatory’ — Sammy Gyamfi
41 minutes -
Black Star International Film Festival unveils 2026 key art
48 minutes -
Trump threatens Oman over Iran talks as efforts to reopen Strait of Hormuz continue
51 minutes -
DBG to develop tailored financing tools to drive Ghana’s oil palm industry
54 minutes -
Majority Leader James Agalga visits NYA CEO Osman Ayariga to discuss issues of youth development
57 minutes -
NPP Greater Accra chairmanship is preparation for bigger political assignment– Okoe Boye
1 hour -
A Ghanaian PhD student at Texas Tech University advocates stronger protection for AI Data workers in Africa
1 hour -
Berekuso chief appeals to Mahama over deplorable Katesi-Berekuso-Dome-Kwabenya road
1 hour -
Freda Kingful Abraham Cudjoe: The visionary founder building a creative legacy through Impakers Creative Hub
2 hours -
Tanker drivers suspend strike after BOST commits to fix Kumasi depot challenges
2 hours -
Photos: Stonebwoy’s BHIM Festival at OVO Arena Wembley, London
2 hours -
BoG identifies $4.8bn annual SME financing gap, pushes digital data-driven lending
2 hours -
Labone bank robbery suspect remanded
2 hours