Audio By Carbonatix
The Ada West District Education Directorate has intensified the implementation of key policies to address teenage pregnancy and improve academic performance among basic school pupils in the district.
Dr Stephen Arthur, the District Director of Education, said the directorate had strengthened the Right Age Enrolment Policy to encourage parents to enrol children in school at the appropriate age.
Dr Arthur explained that children were expected to start kindergarten at four years and primary one at six years to promote age-appropriate learning progression.
He made the remarks during the district’s 69th Independence Day celebration held at the Sege Cluster of Schools Park.
He noted that late school enrolment had been identified as one of the major factors contributing to teenage pregnancies and high dropout rates, particularly among girls.
Dr Arthur said the policy would help reduce school dropouts, protect the dignity of the girl child and strengthen foundational literacy and numeracy among pupils.
He also disclosed that the district recorded a 50.7 per cent pass rate in the 2025 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE), which fell below the district’s target of 60 per cent.
He said the district had registered 1,635 candidates to sit for the 2026 BECE scheduled from May 4 to May 11.
To improve academic performance, subject experts had been engaged to provide technical support to candidates in the core subjects, he said.
He added that the district had revived the District Level Teacher Prize, which had been discontinued since 2018 due to funding constraints.
He noted that the award scheme recognised outstanding teachers and education officers for their dedication and innovation in improving educational delivery.
The education director urged parents, teachers, and community leaders to work together to support the education sector and improve learning outcomes for children in the district.
Latest Stories
-
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
17 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
59 minutes -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
1 hour -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
3 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
4 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
4 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
5 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
6 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
6 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
6 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
6 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
6 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
7 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
7 hours