The Water Resources, Works, and Housing Ministry is finalising the Rent Bill that will make it illegal for landlords to take more than a month's advanced rent from tenants, Joy News has gathered.
According to the document which is awaiting Cabinet approval, tenants will be expected to deposit a three-month rent in the bank as security after paying a month rent.
The bill "is ready now. We have finalised it and we are working to send it to Parliament at this stage so I am hoping that in a week or two it will be submitted to Cabinet for consideration then we will bring it to Parliament,” Deputy sector Minister, Sampson Ahi told Joynews.
He revealed the decision was arrived at after exhaustive consultations with stakeholders.
He explained “It stands that nobody should pay more than a month rent advance,” adding “In fact with this we are encouraging one month with three-month security deposit.”
The minister, however, disclosed the final acceptance of the position will be taken at the Parliamentary level when the Select Committee on Works and Housing finalises the document for discussion on the floor of the House.
He was hopeful that by the time the bill becomes a law, the country will be able to put to rest the many rent-related issues in the country.
- World Cup 2022: Cristiano Ronaldo a ‘total genius’ for winning Portugal penalty – Fifa
- BoG pegs cedi depreciation to dollar at 54%
- Bawumia launches $450m Gulf of Guinea Social Cohesion Project
- Bright Simons: Ghana’s 2023 Budget: A missed opportunity
- Ghana’s reserves fall to 2.9 months of import cover in October 2022; trade surplus hits $1.87bn
- I hope Afriyie Barnieh will be used in one of the games at the World Cup – Hearts of Oak General Manager
- Photos and videos: Artistes thrill patrons at HITZ Skuuls Reunion
- Messi scores in vital Argentina win over Mexico
- Daughter cannot watch father’s execution, judge rules
- Kuami Eugene, Eno Barony and Keche climax HITZ Skuuls Reunion’s return
- Ofori-Atta has learnt a bitter lesson – Bagbin on calls for Minister’s head
- 2022 World Cup: We didn’t ‘over-respect’ Portugal – Otto Addo
- Take tough decisions in life – GNPC boss to Presec Legon students
- Kelvin Tutu talks accountability in new single, ‘Fa kye’
- BOST MD emerges Petroleum CEO of the Year 2022
- 6th Ghana Energy Awards honours 31 individuals, companies
- 2022 World Cup: ‘Black Stars still have a big chance of making last 16’ – Otto Addo
- ‘We don’t want any mining activities on our land’ – Mampong Traditional Council insists
- How to let go of a married man, even if you still love him
- Otto Addo picks Germany as favourite to win World Cup
- My ex got married and I’m single and completely heartbroken
- WHO convenes Africa regional policy dialogue on investment and protection of health workforce
- 2022 World Cup: Otto Addo wary of Son Heung-min threat ahead of South Korea clash
- 2022 World Cup: ‘We will see a passionate Black Stars against South Korea – Otto Addo
- ‘It feels like it never left’ – Revitalised HITZ Skuul Reunion wins patrons’ hearts