Audio By Carbonatix
Libya have been removed as hosts of the 2017 African Nations Cup finals as ongoing fighting in the country delays plans to build new stadiums for the 16-team tournament.
The Confederation of African Football are inviting new bidders for the tournament, it said on its Twitter account on Saturday, Reuters reports.
Countries wishing to host the tournament have until Sept. 30 to send in expressions of interest, it added.
Libya has endured weeks of recent chaos as the government struggles to control former rebel fractions who helped topple former leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
Libya were originally scheduled to hold the Nations Cup in 2013 but because of the civil war swapped with 2017 hosts South Africa.
The oil-rich north African country had been planning to build 11 stadiums at a cost of $314m, including a showpiece new 60,000-seater Austrian-built stadium on the site of a former military camp in Tripoli.
Benghazi and Misrata were also due for major stadiums.
Libya’s government said last year it hoped the hosting of the Nations Cup would allow it to demonstrate that life had returned to normal in the country and encourage investors.
Latest Stories
-
GES denies cancellation of Free SHS, warns against GH¢1,500 ‘chop box’ payment
3 minutes -
Mortuaries and Funerals Agency to deploy ‘funeral police’ nationwide to prevent corpse abuse
13 minutes -
Aisha Hospital delivers first-ever IVF Baby, opens new dialysis centre in Northern region
28 minutes -
GoldBod leadership may face ‘scary’ bail conditions in the future – Afenyo-Markin warns
33 minutes -
British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island
41 minutes -
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
50 minutes -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
55 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
58 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
1 hour -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
1 hour -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
1 hour -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
2 hours -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
2 hours -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
2 hours