Two top US generals have said they recommended keeping a force of 2,500 troops in Afghanistan, ahead of the full US withdrawal in August.
Testimony by Gen Mark Milley and Gen Frank McKenzie to Congress seemed to contradict President Joe Biden, who said he did not recall any such advice.
The Taliban took power in August, after rapidly advancing through the country.
Gen Milley said the US had been taken by surprise by the speed of the Afghan government’s collapse.
The two US generals were questioned by the Senate armed services committee along with Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin on Tuesday.
The hearing comes weeks after a chaotic withdrawal at Kabul airport as foreign powers sought to get their citizens home and thousands of desperate Afghans begged for rescue.
A suicide attack killed 182 people during the withdrawal operation. Thirteen US service personnel and at least 169 Afghans were killed by the airport gate on 26 August.
Keeping troops on the ground
Gen McKenzie, who as head of US Central Command oversaw the withdrawal from Afghanistan, said under questioning from Republican senators that he recommended keeping a small force of 2,500 troops in Afghanistan.
This appears to contradict President Joe Biden’s assertion to an ABC journalist on 19 August that he did not recall anyone giving him such advice.
Gen Milley said that he agreed with the recommendation, but when asked by Alaska Republican Dan Sullivan whether Mr Biden’s comments were “a false statement”, he refused to give a direct answer.
Later White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki addressed the issue.
“The president values the candid advice of… the joint chiefs and the military,” she said. “That doesn’t mean he always agrees with it.”
She said that if troops remained in the country after the August deadline the US would now be at war with the Taliban.
- ‘Desperate’ Daniel Ofori engaging in ‘misplaced measures’ – Ecobank on legal tussle with businessman
- Buses carrying 202 foreigners intercepted at Aflao
- Police officer harassing woman in a viral video arrested
- Anas Aremeyaw Anas wins 2021 Foreign Journalist Award in the US
- Akufo-Addo has monopolised LX-DIO private jet at US$14,000 per hour from July till date – Okudzeto Ablakwa alleges
- Roads Minister cannot revoke road toll without Parliament’s backing – Lawyer
- Rejection of 2022 budget: Majority should take the matter to court – Lawyer
- Haul John Boadu before Parliament if you find his comments contemptuous – Nyarko Osei tells Kwame Agbodza
- Mahama urges government to fast track initiatives to address unemployment
- Omicron Netherlands: 13 air passengers test positive for new variant
Livestream: The Probe – One-On-One with Johnson Asiedu Nketia
Rugby 7s Pre-World Cup qualifiers: Ghana triumphs in Kumasi
Jorginho earns Chelseea draw with Man Utd after gifting Sancho opener
CAF CC: Hearts beat 10-man Saoura to gain first-leg advantage
Suspension of road toll: Roads Minister must consult Attorney-General on the right thing to do – Legal expert
COVID-19: Observance of safety protocols and vaccination, the way to go – Patrick Kuma-Aboagye
Over 142,000 vaccines are being administered daily – GHS
AU endorses Togo’s vaccine pass
Rejection of 2022 budget: Majority should take the matter to court – Lawyer
Omicron Netherlands: 13 air passengers test positive for new variant
COVID-19 Omicron Variant: ‘We have not identified one in Ghana’ – Patrick Kuma-Aboagye
Covid-19 vaccination: Over 7million vaccines to be received before the year ends – Kuma-Aboagye
Roads Minister cannot revoke road toll without Parliament’s backing – Lawyer
Unvaccinated persons are seven times more likely to die of Covid-19 – GHS
Botswana records new COVID-19 variant; urges calm as investigations continue