Audio By Carbonatix
The CEO of the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA), says the President Akufo-Addo-led government was committed to improving the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) to guarantee access to quality healthcare service by active NHIS card holders.
Dr Bernard Okoe-Boye said it was the desire of the government to ensure that no person was denied access to quality healthcare services in the country on financial grounds.
The NHIA CEO stated that the government was also working to settle NHIS claims for the health facilities to provide the needed care to the NHIA clients including the availability of drugs at the facility.
Dr Okoe-Boye said this in Wa on Thursday when he paid a courtesy call on Dr Hafiz Bin Salih, the Upper West Regional Minister, to begin a three-day working visit to the region.
The visit was to have a personal appreciation of the challenges confronting the Authority in the region and to assess the progress of work on the construction of NHIA offices in Issa in the Daffiama-Bussie-Issa District and Lawra in the Lawra Municipality.
The CEO was also expected to interact with the NHIA staff at the Nadowli-Kaleo District and Nandom Municipality and to assess the service delivery at the Upper West Regional Hospital.
Dr Okoe-Boye explained that the government was currently within the internationally acceptable threshold of 90 days in the payment of the NHIS claims to registered health facilities providing the NHIS services.
“I am happy to announce that currently as we speak, we are processing February 2023 payment so that we can pay to hospitals.
"Now that we have done this what we expect from the facilities is to do the best for our clients and once that happens it becomes easier to tell people to get registered onto the scheme,” he said.
He said the government was not relenting in its efforts at expanding the NHIS benefit package for the clients.
The NHIA CEO said currently, childhood cancers and medication for breast cancer had been added to the NHIA benefit package while the treatment for persons with mental health disorders would be put on the scheme.
Dr Okoe-Boye said they were targeting to register at least 20 million Ghanaians onto the NHIS by the end of December 2023.
On his part, Dr Salih commended the NHIA in the region for attaining Universal Health Coverage in the NHIS membership registration.
He identified the inadequate number of NHIA staff and logistics such as vehicles as some challenges facing the Authority and appealed to the CEO to take steps to resolve them to help enhance the membership drive that the Authority sought to achieve.
He assured the leadership of the NHIA of his utmost support in the delivery of their services for the good of the people in the region.
Latest Stories
-
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
2 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
2 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
3 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
4 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
5 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
6 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
6 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
6 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
6 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
6 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
7 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
7 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
7 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
7 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
7 hours
