Audio By Carbonatix
A lawyer representing Ghana’s former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta has said his client is pursuing permanent US residency rather than returning to his home country, where he fears he would not be tried fairly on corruption charges.
Mr Ofori-Atta is being held in an ICE detention facility in Virginia after his arrest by US immigration officials in January for overstaying on a visa.
Enayat Qasimi told Semafor his client has a “pathway to residency” that he would pursue.
He claimed there were “serious questions” about the independence of the Ghanaian judiciary and said that Mr Ofori-Atta had been subjected to a “political witch hunt” that meant he was unlikely to receive a fair trial over alleged financial impropriety while in office, from 2017 to 2024.
The office of Ghana’s attorney general declined to comment.
Ghana has issued an extradition request for Ofori-Atta’s return, which US officials told Semafor had been received.
Mr Ofori-Atta is expected to reappear before the Annandale Immigration Court in Virginia on April 27 after the case concerning his immigration status was adjourned.
He first appeared before the court in January during a virtual hearing presided over by Judge David Gardey, which focused on a bond redetermination and an initial review of the case.
Mr Ofori-Atta joined the hearing from the Caroline Detention Centre, appearing in a black shirt, spectacles and a nose mask.
His visitor visa, which was due to expire in February, was later revoked by US authorities. Court documents indicate he had been instructed to leave the United States by November 29 last year, but failed to comply, leaving him without lawful immigration status.
During the hearing, his lawyers successfully requested that the bond hearing and master calendar proceedings be held behind closed doors, citing the sensitive nature of the issues involved. The judge granted the request.
Meanwhile in Ghana, Mr Ofori-Atta and five others face more than 70 criminal charges linked to several corruption investigations, including allegations that the Strategic Mobilisation Limited (SML) contract caused a financial loss of over GH¢1.4 billion to the state.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
46 seconds -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
9 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
10 minutes -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
10 minutes -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
12 minutes -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
15 minutes -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
17 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
19 minutes -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
45 minutes -
Northern Regional police arrest 24 suspects, retrieve suspected Indian hemp and Tramadol
1 hour -
Speaker urges Commonwealth unity for global stability and security
1 hour -
From GH¢155 billion a year to GH¢500 billion a month! The amazing story of how interoperability in 2018 has driven Ghana’s mobile Money Growth
1 hour -
Ghana Card is gateway to national services – Interior Minister as NIA marks 20 years in operation
1 hour -
Torrential rain submerges 50 houses in Cape Coast
2 hours -
OLAG crowned winners of ACE Spoken Word Contest
2 hours