Audio By Carbonatix
The Palestinian armed group Hamas has called on Iran to stop attacking Gulf states, in a rare appeal to its key ally.
The Tehran-backed group urged its "brothers in Iran to avoid targeting neighbouring countries", saying in a statement that all regional nations should co-operate "to preserve the bonds of brotherhood".
At the same time, Hamas, which runs Gaza, affirmed Tehran's right to defend itself against attacks by the US and Israel, which are continuing to strike Iran.
The Iranian authorities have said their own retaliatory strikes target "American installations" on Gulf soil rather than the neighbours themselves - but many attacks have hit civilian infrastructure.
Hamas said on Saturday that it had been following the war in the region with "deep concern".
It called upon "all states and international organisations to worktowards halting [the war] immediately".
Iran has not publicly commented on Hamas's statement.
Tehran's retaliatory drone and missile strikes have been felt by many of its Gulf neighbours over the past two weeks.
At least 18 people have been killed across the region so far, most of them security personnel or foreign workers.
Six people have been killed in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and another six in Kuwait, while Oman, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain have all reported two deaths each.
Iran is Hamas's biggest backer in terms of funding, weapons and political support.
The Palestinian group has previously condemned as a "heinous crime" the assassination of Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in joint US-Israeli strikes on the first day of the war on 28 February.
Hamas is a member of Iran's "axis of resistance" - a loose coalition aimed at combating US and Israeli influence.
Turkey and Qatar - which have recently come under Iranian attacks - also provide significant financial and political support to Hamas.
The group fought a devastating war against Israel in the Gaza Strip for more than two years.
A US-imposed ceasefire came into effect last October and negotiations continue over the later phases of the deal.
Israel and Hamas have accused each other of near-daily violations of the ceasefire agreement.
The Hamas-run health ministry said 649 people had been killed in Gaza since the ceasefire came into effect.
Latest Stories
-
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
23 minutes -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
24 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
27 minutes -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
29 minutes -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
30 minutes -
Tanker drivers begin three-day strike over alleged fuel measurement inaccuracies at BOST Kumasi
31 minutes -
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
33 minutes -
Greater Manchester NDC UK branch elects new executives
33 minutes -
Ghana’s anti-corruption fight has stagnated— Transparency International
38 minutes -
UMB, ORC partner to make business registration easier for entrepreneurs
42 minutes -
Cedi is ‘long overdue for a refresh’ – Mahama
44 minutes -
GenCED urges NPP to extend 50% nomination fee reduction to women, youth and PWDs
49 minutes -
The source of cedi appreciation matters more than the appreciation itself
56 minutes -
Ashanti cocoa farmers welcome new COCOBOD Bill, back key reforms
59 minutes -
‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin
60 minutes