Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa's former President Jacob Zuma has been suspended by the ANC he used to lead, after refusing to vote for them and launching a rival party.
The governing African National Congress (ANC) announced its decision on Monday.
Mr Zuma's new party, uMkhonto we Sizwe (MK), meaning "spear of the nation", shares a name with the ANC's former armed wing he once served in.
His nine years as president, starting in 2009, were dogged by scandal including major corruption allegations.
An official inquiry said the former president placed the interests of corrupt associates ahead of those of his country, in a process known as "state capture".
He also faces corruption charges over a 1999 arms deal. He denies wrongdoing in all cases.
South Africa's current President, Cyril Ramaphosa, replaced him in 2018 and promised to clean up government. He now leads an embattled ANC into this year's general election.
'Rescue' mission
At MK's official launch in December, a statement was read on Mr Zuma's behalf saying he would "die a member of the ANC" but not vote for it, adding that some of its leaders behave in an "un-ANC manner" and it was now his mission to "rescue" the "once-great movement".
Mr Zuma has also launched highly personal attacks on his successor, and former deputy, Mr Ramaphosa.
The BBC's Daniel de Simone in Johannesburg says many South Africans see Mr Zuma as representing what is wrong with the recent past, and with having tainted the ANC.
Yet he commands huge loyalty from some quarters. Thousands of South Africans rioted in protest at his jailing for contempt of court in 2021, and a recent poll estimates that almost one in three South Africans approve of him.
It is not yet clear how far this will translate into popular support for his new MK party at the ballot box, but it is likely to cost the ANC votes.
The ANC, which had its roots in the liberation struggle against apartheid, has governed South Africa ever since white-minority rule ended.
Mr Zuma, 81, had been a lifelong member of the ANC.
He joined aged 17 with no formal schooling and soon rose through the ranks of the ANC's military and intelligence wings, followed by top posts in his home state of Kwa-Zulu Natal and ultimately the deputy presidency and presidency.
Correspondents say this year's election is viewed by many as the most competitive since the ANC came to power in 1994.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
7 minutes -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
1 hour -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
1 hour -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
1 hour -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
3 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
3 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
3 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
3 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
3 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
3 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
3 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
5 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
5 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
5 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
5 hours