Audio By Carbonatix
The Mamprugu Traditional Council is demanding an unconditional apology from government over the military’s attempt to arrest the Manprugu chief and 'new chief'.
They made the demand at a press conference attended by over 20 members of the council, youth and sympathisers in the area on Tuesday, February 21, 2023.
According to the Paramount Chief of Gbankoni, Naba Lare Haruna Nasinmo II, the Mamprugu overlord 'Nayiri' is the only legitimate enskinning authority of the Bawku Chieftaincy skin.
"We call for an unconditional apology and a public withdrawal of the statement issued by the Minister for Information. Government is to give recognition to whoever it pleases. What matters to us is who our enskinned authorities recognise," he added.

Armed soldiers deployed to Nalerigu clashed with the town’s youth on the night of February 19.
The attempt by the soldiers followed a warrant issued by a High Court in Bolgatanga for the arrest of the two traditional leaders for their involvement in the enskinment of the chief.


In a press release issued by the Information Ministry on February 15, the government said the act is a national security violation.
According to JoyNews correspondent, Eliasu Tanko, the military forces upon their arrival on Sunday night, however, could not carry out the arrest as they were met by the angry youth of the town.
At Tuesday's press conference, the traditional council condemned the act.

"I want this to be the last time that the government event disrespects our kingdom in this manner," the spokesperson added.
Ranking member of the Defence and Interior Committee of Parliament, James Agalga says government could rely on eminent chiefs to lead media talks.
Latest Stories
-
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
7 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
21 minutes -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
45 minutes -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
45 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
46 minutes -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
2 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
2 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
5 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
5 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
5 hours