Armed robbers jailed 100 years

Two armed robbers have been sentenced by an Accra Circuit Court to a total of 100 years imprisonment for allegedly robbing some Fan Milk vendors at gunpoint.

The robbers, Abubakar Mohammed, a mechanic and Kadiri Mohammed, a student, robbed the vendors of their sales at the Fan Milk depot located at North Industrial area.

They reportedly shot one Razak, a vendor, in the left thigh when he tried to prevent them from escaping when people got wind of their criminal act and tried to arrest them.

The court presided over by Eric Kyei Baffuor found them guilty of three counts of conspiracy to commit crime, robbery and causing harm, after a two-year trial.

In his ruling, the judge observed that the prosecution was able to prove that the two robbers were guilty beyond any reasonable doubt and subsequently sentenced them to 30 years imprisonment each on the robbery charge.

In addition, they received 20 years each on the two counts of conspiracy to commit crime and causing harm.

All the sentences, however, are to run concurrently.

The convicts were immediately whisked away to begin their sentences in prison.

The prosecution, led by State Attorney Paul Abariga, disclosed that the complainants were sales boys and Fan Milk vendors.

He narrated that on May 1, 2009, at about 5:30.a.m, some of the Fan Milk vendors went to their office at North Industrial area to render accounts of their previous day’s work.

Abariga indicated that while they were about to go through the process with a sales officer, the convicts entered the Fan Milk depot and pretended that they wanted to buy two pieces of ice cream.

Kadiru reportedly went out of the depot while Abubakar stayed behind to collect the ice cream. All of a sudden, Abubakar pulled a pistol and Kadiri who was then manning the gate to prevent people from noticing what was happening, pulled out a knife.

They then ordered the complainants to bring out all money in the shop. In addition, they stole a China Nokia phone valued at GH¢85.

According to the prosecutor, somebody who saw what was happening raised an alarm which attracted people to the scene.

The convicts, sensing danger, started to run but one Razak, a victim, tried to arrest Abubakar.

Out of anger, Abubakar shot him in the left thigh and escaped from the scene.

However, they were later arrested by witnesses in the case near the Neoplan Lorry Park at different locations and handed over to the Neoplan police.

The police, during a search, retrieved the mobile phone, knife and seven pieces of Redstar Medium size BB cartridges from them.

The convicts, in their caution statement, reportedly admitted to the offence, but claimed it was one Sadat who shot the victim. They however failed to lead the police to arrest the said Sadat.