Audio By Carbonatix
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has separated from his wife, it has been claimed.
Wenger, 65, is alleged by The Sun to have split from Annie, 59, over the summer.
Official documents, said to be on display in his hometown of Strasbourg and seen by the newspaper, show the pair have not been together since June, when a continental judge is said to have granted them a “judicial separation”.
This would mean they were still legally married but no longer living under one roof and free to see other people. If the separation is not challenged in two years they will be automatically granted a divorce, it is reported.
Wenger, who has spent 19 years at the Gunners’ helm, has an 18-year-old daughter with his wife.
A French legal expert told the paper: “This is a legal separation, which means that the couple are not legally obliged to live together, and they can have separate lives, and no longer had intimate relations.
“He will have to still keep his responsibilities to look after the family.
“This is something which is not often done anymore, often Catholic families use this, as they are reluctant to get a divorce, but legally there is little difference.”
The pair, who have not been photographed together since 2013, have agreed a financial package and divided up their assets, according to The Mirror.
In 2008 he admitted in The Independent his job had been a strain on his long-term relationship with Annie, who he married in 2010.
"You have guys who leave for work on Monday and come back on Friday," he said. "In my job I travel, but the problem is not so much the quantity of time you spend with your family, it is the quality. That is where this job is more damaging. You do not always give them the quality they deserve when you are at home because you are thinking of the next game."
Mr Wenger's representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment, according to the report.
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Kusi Boateng
3 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
3 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
3 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
3 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
3 hours