Audio By Carbonatix
Arsenal winger Theo Walcott will be out of action for up to six weeks after injuring his ankle playing for England.
The 21-year-old picked up the knock during the 3-1 Euro 2012 qualifying win over Switzerland in Basle on Tuesday.
He went straight to hospital for an X-ray after being clipped by Yves Oehri in the build-up to England's opener.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said: "I thought it would be three or four days or four to six weeks - unfortunately it will be four to six weeks."
But Wenger admitted it "could be worse", adding: "We had some good news about the scan because at some stage we were scared it could be worse. But overall it is a question of patience and rehabilitation."
The loss of the forward is another blow to Gunners manager Arsene Wenger, who has been hit by the news that Netherlands striker Robin van Persie will be sidelined until at least the middle of October because of an ankle problem.
Wenger said of the Dutchman's situation: "That is bad news. At the start we were optimistic. Maybe a bit too much, thinking it would be one or two weeks. But the damage was bigger than expected and he will be four to six weeks."
The Frenchman is also without forward Nicklas Bendtner, who has a groin injury and is three weeks away from a comeback, while midfielder Samir Nasri is expected to return to training in the next few days after being absent since 15 August with a knee problem.
"Nasri has had a very good preparation and joins in [training] on Friday. If needed I will integrate him in the squad for Bolton but for sure he will be back for our first Champions League game against Braga [on Wednesday]."
Walcott had been in good form for Arsenal, scoring four goals in three games before the international break.
Johan Djourou and Denilson are available to face Bolton on Saturday after injury, while Sebastien Squillaci could be involved for the first time after his move from Sevilla. All three came through a reserve team run-out in midweek.
Meanwhile, Aaron Ramsey is on course for his November return. "Aaron is running," said Wenger. "He is in the normal process but he is a little bit more long-term."
Credit: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
2 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
2 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
2 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
3 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
3 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
3 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
3 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
3 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
3 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
3 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
4 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
5 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
5 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
5 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
5 hours