Audio By Carbonatix
Arsene Wenger has urged the Football Association to act quickly to persuade Arsenal's young midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong to play for England.
The 18-year-old, who was born in Accra but moved to London in 2000, played for England Under-16 and Under-18s, but has indicated he wishes to play for Ghana.
Wenger said: "Here you have a boy who can choose between England and Ghana.
"So if I was in your place, I would have no hesitation and invite him to play very quickly for England."
The Arsenal manager's praise followed his side's 3-2 victory over Celtic, which ensured the Gunners clinched the pre-season Emirates Cup.
Carlos Vela, Bacary Sagna and Samir Nasri were on the scoresheet for Arsenal, but it was Frimpong's former England Under-18 teammate Jack Wilshere who impressed the Gunners boss and won the man-of-the-match accolade.
"I believe he is stronger than last year, physically, and the few months he played (on loan) at Bolton has given him something," Wenger continued.
"He will be used at the club, of course. The problem at that age is to be patient. If you look at the number of good players we have in midfield, nobody can guarantee a position to anybody."
And comparing his two midfielders, Wenger added: "Frimpong is a bit less of a dribbler but he's a fighter and a winner."
Arsenal were held to a 1-1 draw on Saturday with AC Milan, but the Frenchman said his side's performances had impressed him.
"I am pleased, because we had good opponents against teams who didn't give up.
"I've seen what I wanted to see, that two new players can fit in well. And I'm pleased with the fact that the young players who have played in the two games have done really well.
"And you will be pleased with the fact that they are English - so we are all happy," Wenger added.
The Arsenal boss added that winger Theo Walcott, who set up two of the Gunners goals, is "highly determined" to impress.
To the surprise of many, the winger was not picked as part of Fabio Capello's England World Cup squad in South Africa.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
42 minutes -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
45 minutes -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
51 minutes -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
58 minutes -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
1 hour -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
1 hour -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
1 hour -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
1 hour -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
1 hour -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
1 hour -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
1 hour -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
1 hour -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
2 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
2 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
2 hours