William Amponsah, a two-time winner of the Asante Akim Marathon, has been enlisted to represent Ghana in a world cross country competition slated for February 18, 2023 in Australia.
The Asante Akim Marathon which is an initiative by the former Member of Parliament for Asante Akim North Constituency, Kwadwo Baah Agyemang, was won by William Amponsah in 2017 and 2022.
Speaking to Adom News, William Amponsah stated that he will work hard to improve his personal best time and also urged Ghanaians to continue to support local athletes.
“Running competition is not about position or becoming first but the main important thing is the personal best time, your finishing time, which I have always been improving. Ghanaians should expect an improved best time in this championship and I will also say they should continue to support local athletes” he said.
The Manager of William Amponsah, Mr Charles Abeiku Forson, also acknowledged the Ghana Athletics Association, the Ghana Olympic Committee and the National Sports Authority for the opportunity given them.
He urged them to continue supporting the local athletes to push them into becoming national assets.
“A big thank you to the Ghana Athletics Association, Ghana Olympic Committee and National Sports Authority for this platform, it will promote the local athletes, they should continue with that, this will give the young athletes in Ghana here hope ” he added.
William Amponsah is a 22 year old who hails from Agona Swedru in the Central Region and is currently studying Physical Education at the University of Education, Winneba.
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Playback: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- After standoff and brief suspension, Parliament regroups to vote on new appointees
- Chris Hughton told me Baba Yara pitch is one of the best he’s seen – NSA Boss
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Black Meteors held to 1-1 draw in Algeria
- Principal fired after Florida students shown Michelangelo statue
- Vatican returns Parthenon sculptures to Greece
- Chad nationalises assets belonging to Exxon Mobile
- NPP Bono Regional Organizer supports TESCON with 200k
- Mbappe scores in France heavy win over Netherlands
- This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home
- Cedi depreciates by 22.1% in March 2023 – BoG
- I am not ready to die – Bagbin says as he calls for adjournment of prolonged sitting
- Ghana’s debt unchanged at ¢575.7bn – BoG
- Government makes additional payment for outstanding coupons
- Speaker congratulates approved ministerial nominees
- Playback: One-on-one with Prof Ofori Birikorang on PM Express
- This Saturday on Newsfile