The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has elected a candidate for the upcoming Assin North by-election.
The NPP delegates in the Assin North Constituency on Wednesday voted for Charles Opoku to lead them into the by-election.
Charles Opoku beat his opponent Frederick Amoah Kyei with over 200 votes to secure the candidacy.
He polled 397 votes while Mr Freeman polled 136 votes.
Speaking to JoyNews’ Richard Kwadwo Nyarko, the delegates stated that they are confident the party will win the Assin North seat in the by-election.
This comes after the NDC alleged that the NPP was working with the EC to illegally insert Mr Opoku’s name in the constituency’s voters’ register ahead of the elections.
Denying the claims, the EC indicated that parliamentary candidates are only required to be registered voters.
According to the Commission, the constituency they are registered in does not hinder them from contesting for an election in another constituency.
It, however, explained that the people who are nominating the candidate are required to be voters in the constituency.
Meanwhile, a by-election in Assin North has become necessary after parliament wrote to the Electoral Commission declaring the seat vacant.
This followed the Supreme Court ruling that the Electoral Commission acted unconstitutionally in allowing Mr James Quayson to contest the 2020 parliamentary election without proof of him renouncing his Canadian Citizenship.
It further declared that his election was unconstitutional, null and void and of no effect. His swearing-in was equally declared to be unconstitutional
But the NDC is backing Mr Quayson to stand again as their candidate in the by-election.
- Ghana’s gross reserves stood at 1.0 month of import cover in August 2023; trade surplus hits $2.016bn – BoG
- Alan to speak on Monday on political future after quitting NPP flagbearer race
- Livestream: The Probe discusses impact of #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest
- Dr. Sa-ad Iddrisu: Historians must document all human rights violations under Akufo-Addo’s watch
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Osagyefo & The Madiba: Global Africa in Search of Transformational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw