Five-time European champions Barcelona lost to Bayern Munich to miss out on the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time in 17 years.
Barca have not been absent from the last 16 since 2003-04, when they did not qualify for the competition at all.
This exit continues a miserable campaign for the Spanish giants after financial issues forced them to let club legend Lionel Messi leave on a free transfer and then join Paris St-Germain in the summer.
Barca needed to match Benfica’s result to advance, but the Portuguese side won 2-0 at home to Dynamo Kyiv, leaving Xavi’s men third and facing a Europa League knockout round play-off.
The game, played in snowy conditions and without fans because of a rise in Covid-19 cases in Germany, had got away from the visitors by half-time.
Bayern scored their first when Robert Lewandowski’s cross found Thomas Muller and his header just crossed the line, before they doubled their lead thanks to a superb 30-yard strike from former Manchester City forward Leroy Sane.
Jamal Musiala added a third goal in the second half with a routine finish after a pull-back from Alphonso Davies.
Barcelona had chances to take the lead when it was goalless but Jordi Alba, who later went off with a hamstring injury, had a shot saved by Manuel Neuer and Ousmane Dembele also wasted a chance by firing over.
Bayern advance as group winners with a 100% record. Benfica finished on eight points, with Barcelona, who only scored twice in the entire group stage, on seven points.
The draw for the Europa League takes place on Monday at 12:00 GMT in Nyon, Switzerland and Barca will play one of the Europa League group runners-up, with Rangers one of their potential opponents.
- Why Dede Ayew is trending on Twitter
- Majority describes Bagbin’s frequent absence as worrying
- E-levy is less than 2%; UK pays 10% and we go there and seek loans from them – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful
- Asamoah Gyan reported me to Kufuor and I’ve never been happy with him to date – K. T. Hammond
- I held outdoor crusades for 5k people at age 5 in Nigeria – Sam George
- Last time I changed my sponge was 12 years ago – Man tells JoyNews
- I spent 50% of my 8-year savings in 2 years – Family man recounts how he survived Covid-19
- I withdrew my SSNIT funds to start a business but Covid-19 didn’t let me – Man recounts
- Market queens in Kumasi opt to pay nomination fee for Alan Kyerematen
- If ‘Talk Tax’ worked, E-Levy won’t fail – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful
Ghana must learn from Apeatse disaster – Gold Fields
Burkina Faso coup: New leader Damiba gives first speech
DPO Group partners with Mastercard to help businesses accept digital payments
Elon Musk offered a 19-year-old $5k to take down a Twitter account that tracks his private jet
Nicki Minaj and Kenneth Petty hit with lawsuit for alleged fight with Head of Security
Electrochem Ghana Limited and Ada West District Assembly commit to strengthening ties
Trader burnt to death in Sunyani
There’ll be an economic disaster if E-levy fails to go through – Ken Ofori-Atta
Okwawu United announce new management members
Ayawaso Central Assembly steps up ‘Operation Clean Your Frontage’ sensitisation campaign
Apeatse explosion: Negligence, regulation lapses and institutional failures caused incident – Expert
Mary J. Blige says she had to pay herself ‘the highest compliments’ in order to get her confidence back
Chris Brown sued for $20m Over alleged rape
Playback: MacDan speaks about the private jet terminal at KIA
Rihanna went pantless on a date with A$AP Rocky