Academic activities came to a halt at the Bawku Sabon-zongo primary school Monday morning as pupils staged a protest against the replacement of caterers for the school feeding programme.

New caterers arrived at the school Monday morning to replace existing ones whose contracts were terminated last week. But the pupils insisted they want the old caterers back, chanting “we don’t want the food.”

Speaking to Joy News’ Seth Kwame Boateng, the headteacher of the school, Yusif Baba said he is worried that the situation may degenerate and cause delays in the feeding of the pupils which may affect teaching and learning.

He said while some of the pupils say they were acting on the instigation of the some teachers, others refuted the claims, insisting they acted on their own accord.

One of the dismissed caterers who doubles as the school’s Parent Teacher Association chairman, Nasiru Osman told Joy News the termination of their contracts was politically motivated.

He explained that even though they were asked to attend some interviews, they never heard anything from the appointing authorities.

Mr Osman rejected suggestions he and others instigated the children’s demonstration.

But the Bawku Municipal Chief Executive, Musah Abdulai maintained that Mr Osman had a hand in the action of the children.

He told Joy News’ Dzifa Bampoe, that the pupils were too innocent to take such an anomic action.

The MCE questioned the basis for the action of the pupils’ claiming that they will not get quality services from the new caterers when they have not been fed by the new caterers.

Source: Joy News/Ghana

Tags: