Women’s fashion chain Bonmarché has fallen into administration, putting more than 1,500 jobs at risk.
Bonmarché, which has 225 stores around the country, was owned by retail tycoon Philip Day.
His other chains – Edinburgh Woollen Mill, Peacocks and Ponden Home stores – collapsed into administration last month.
Administrators said the stores would continue to trade while options for the business were explored.
Bonmarché collapses into administration https://t.co/CNb3iWhL2W— Ramona, CFC Fan VI 💙 (@CFCFanVI) December 2, 2020
Damian Webb and Gordon Thomson of RSM Restructuring Advisory have been appointed as joint administrators of the firm, known as BM Retail Limited.
Mr Webb said: “Bonmarché remains an attractive brand with a loyal customer base. It is our intention to continue to trade whilst working closely with management to explore the options for the business.
“We will shortly be marketing the business for sale and based on the interest to date, we anticipate there will be a number of interested parties.”
Yorkshire-based Bonmarché specialises in clothing for the over-50s.
It has been in and out of administration before, most recently in October last year, but it was rescued a month later.
The collapse of the chain adds to a grim week for the High Street, after Debenhams announced all its stores were set to close for good and Topshop owner Arcadia fell into administration.
Those two retailers employ 25,000 people between them.
In both cases, tough trading conditions and long-standing difficulties have been exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic, which forced stores to close for lengthy periods during 2020.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- ‘I dread pain and abuse’ – A female head porter opens up on her daily trauma
- Police arrest notorious armed robber in Tema
- ‘Government is either feigning incompetence on the point of how we fix structures or is pretending to fix them’ – Barker-Vormawor
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme
- Virologist warns of third wave of Covid-19 in Ghana
- NSMQ2021: Mfantsipim School begins redemption campaign from regional qualifiers
- Covid-19: GHS to roll out second doses from May 19
- 2022 World Cup Qualifiers: Black Stars to camp in Europe despite postponement
- #NSMQ2021: Mfantsiman Girls SHS dumped for the third time in a row at regionals championship
Wesley Girls ‘no fasting’ policy: What dialogue can’t resolve, even war can’t – Muslim Caucus in Parliament
AGRA holds webinar on Ghana’s Agricultural Transformation Journey
Israeli Embassy organises investment forum for agriculture
Kwabena Agyepong’s NPP membership re-instated
G7 nations pledge $389m over Boko Haram insurgency
Dolait appreciates Chief Imam for role in providing peaceful business climate
Multimedia Group journalist, Isaac K. Normanyo gets ‘Adansiman Bofuo’ award
CDC Group commits $100 million to ETG Group
Tolon-Naa honours Oppong Nkrumah for service to his country
We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
Akufo-Addo meets families of May 9 victims
Astroturf pitch commissioned to boost football in Old Tafo
Burglars target Nigeria president’s chief of staff
Climate change: Zoggu residents cannot access water
Amanase residents burn fetish priest’s car over suspected ritual murder