Audio By Carbonatix
Badgers tunnelling under a road in Lincolnshire have caused £100,000 worth of damage, a council has said.
The mammals had dug a sett under the A52 at Seaholme Road, in the middle of Mablethorpe, according to Lincolnshire County Council.
Emergency repairs to the road would have to be carried out to stop it falling apart, a spokesperson for the authority said.
However, the council had had to wait for a licence from Natural England before the work could be carried out because badgers were a protected species, they added.
The authority had wanted to carry out the repairs earlier, but now the licence had been granted, it was running out of time to do the emergency work, according to the spokesperson.
All work on badger setts must be completed between July and the end of November so the repairs do not interfere with the badgers' mating season, they explained.

Councillor Richard Davies said: “In total, these works are going to cost us an additional £100,000 to complete.”
The Mablethorpe area already has road closures on the A1104 for resurfacing work, and Davies said the authority was aware of traffic flow issues in the town.
The A1104 scheme could not be paused as it was at a critical point, he said.
“Our hands are tied about scheduling these conflicting works," Davies explained.
"We have no option but to get this additional programme up and running straight away.
"If there was any other option available to us, we’d take it."
Davies added that it was "extremely frustrating we have not been given this licence until now".
A condition of the licence issued by Natural England requires the works be carried out under a road closure, to ensure the safety of the badgers.
The council spokesperson said the work would be carried out between 09:00 GMT and 16:00 GMT from Saturday 8 November and Wednesday 20 November.
A three-way traffic light system would operate outside those hours so the road could be used.
Natural England has been approached for a comment.
Latest Stories
-
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
7 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
16 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
17 minutes -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
25 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
26 minutes -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
26 minutes -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
41 minutes -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
1 hour -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
1 hour -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
1 hour -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Technical challenges affecting tax payments are being resolved—GRA
2 hours -
Ghana Premier League 2026/27: What to expect from the new season
2 hours -
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
2 hours