Audio By Carbonatix
A number of expatriate businesses named in connection with the cash-for-seat saga have denied being coerced to pay monies to attend the awards event.
Representatives of at least eight companies including AirtelTigo, IPMC and Interplus appeared in camera before the parliamentary committee probing the saga on Tuesday.
The probe follows concerns by the Minority in Parliament that companies present at the Ghana Expatriate Business Awards (GEBA) organized by a private company, Millennium Excellence Foundation (MEF), were forced to pay monies to sit close to President Akufo-Addo.
MP for North Tongu, Samuel Okudzeto-Ablakwa, said the documents he has sighted about the deal point to extortion by the Ministry of Trade and MEF, the awards organizers.

Representatives from MEF when they meet the Committee
So far, there has been a public hearing for Minority MPs, Okudzeto Ablakwa and Mohammed Muntaka Mubarak, whose complaints led to the Speaker instituting the Committee.
The Trade Minister, Alan Kwadwo Kyeremanten, also took his turn to answer questions on the issue.
However, due to their business interest, expatriate businesses named in the saga pleaded for an in-camera hearing, which the Committee granted.

During the in-camera hearing, Joy FM is reliably informed that the companies were asked specific questions regarding whether they were coerced into making the reported payment of between $15,000 to $100,000.
The Committee also sought to find out how much each of the companies had to pay to participate in the Awards ceremony, which will be compared to the details that were given by the Trades Ministry.
The companies said they paid monies in support of GEBA and not that they were paying to gain access to sit close to the President.
Yaw Buabeng Asamoah, the Spokesperson for the Committee said the in-camera conversations will be captured in the fine details of the report.
Apart from the companies, there is expected to be a final meeting of the Committee in-camera with some additional witnesses on the issue.
After that, they will wrap up with their report and submit it to the Speaker before the end of January.
Although the Committee has delayed in finishing its work and submitting its report, the Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu said they have agreed with the Minority to give a one-week extension.
Latest Stories
-
Before the Next Jason: When seniority becomes a weapon against young academics
11 minutes -
For President Mahama, every mother must live. What about you?
19 minutes -
OMCs commence fuel price reviews; Star Oil sells petrol at GH¢14.97, diesel kept at GH¢16.97
54 minutes -
Residents of Brekusu-Kwabenya-Kitase protest over deplorable roads
1 hour -
Genser Energy secures 456m euros to accelerate next phase of growth across West Africa
1 hour -
COKA visits Kokofu after Ashanti NPP win, calls for unity ahead of 2028
1 hour -
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
1 hour -
GRIDCo completes initial repair works on Ashaiman transmission line
2 hours -
Egyapa Mercer donates hairdryers to graduating hairdressers in Sekondi
2 hours -
Health Ministry hands over 30 ambulances to National Security for refurbishment
2 hours -
Republic Bank deepens commitment to homeownership with nationwide JoyNews Habitat Fair partnership
2 hours -
Archbishop Duncan-Williams links galamsey to Ghana’s wider culture of indiscipline
2 hours -
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
2 hours -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
2 hours