Audio By Carbonatix
World 800m champion Caster Semenya insisted she will race this season, hours after being told to wait for gender-test results to be revealed.
The 19-year-old has not raced since winning in Berlin, but was reportedly due to run in a meeting at Stellenbosch in South Africa on Tuesday.
However, Athletics South Africa (ASA) said she must wait for governing body the IAAF to reveal the test results.
Semenya said her "fundamental and human rights" were breached since her win.
"Since my victory in the female 800m event at the Berlin World Championships in August last year, I have been subjected to unwarranted and invasive scrutiny of the most intimate and private details of my being," she stated.
"Some of the occurrences leading up to, and immediately following, the Berlin World Championships have infringed on not only my rights as an athlete but also my fundamental and human rights, including my rights to dignity and privacy."
The South African, who did not give a date for her planned return to racing, described the gender verification case as "a very simple matter".
"I am an athlete first and foremost and it is vital for my competitiveness, my well-being and for my preparations for events during the European summer that I measure my performance against other athletes," said Semenya.
"I have constantly taken advice from an esteemed panel of medical and legal professionals and other parties who are close to me.
"I have been privy to and have evaluated all the relevant information they have placed before me including current IAAF rules and policies.
"This information has also been placed in the hands of the IAAF. I am of the firm view that there is no impediment to me competing in athletics competitions."
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
1 hour -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
1 hour -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
1 hour -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
2 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
2 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
2 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
2 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
2 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
2 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
2 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
3 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
3 hours