Debutant Chelsea romped to a famous 3-2 victory over Egyptian giants Zamalek in Day one of the Caf Champion league played at the Accra Sports Stadium.
The Berekum side twice came from behind to snatch the match winner on the stroke of full time with Emmanuel Clottey grabbing the first hat-trick of the competition.
Zamalek were ruthless in front of goal and caught the Ghanaians defence men napping a few times.
A. Cisse shot Zamalek into the lead early in the first half but no sooner did goal hero Clottey equalize for Chelsea.
The Egyptians increased the tally through Cisse who capitalised on sloppy defending with a superbly courageous header to beat Ernest Sowah in post for Chelsea.
A minute after recess, Clottey ensured Chelsea were back in the game with a much needed equaliser.
The Berekum side then dominated play with some sumptuous ran on the left by Richard Kissi but his final touch always let him down.
The game appeared destined for a draw but Clottey had other ideas.
He was played through with an immaculate pass and he easily slotted the ball at the blind side of the Egyptian goal for the match winner.
Chelsea are in the same group with two other Champions, TP Mazembe and Al Ahly and would relish the flying start to the competition.
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Travellers complain of rampant robbery at Bunso Junction off Accra-Kumasi highway
- 9 Nigerians arrested for illegally entering Ghana after crossing Volta River
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- 36th ICAG Graduation Ceremony; female UCC alumni crowned overall best candidate
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- Former NSMQ contestant, Francis Tetteh reported dead
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
Former US Vice President Walter Mondale dies at 93
Worawora Government Hospital calls for more blood donors
Thousands of Covid vaccines expire in South Sudan
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Quality healthcare at Upper West Regional Hospital impeded over lack of food supply
‘NDC not at crossroads but we are at a point where the roads are likely to cross’ – Kunbuor
Mahama must call sycophantic campaigners to order – Kunbuor
‘Let’s not lose our guard on Covid-19’ – NCCE cautions public
NDC party was formed to give voice to the voiceless-Antwi Boasiako
Ghana claims 88 percent of 2020 WASSCE 8As
We want to model Ghanaian youth to become good citizens – ISGF Africa Chairman
Court reveals 13 factors behind Akuapem Poloo’s sentencing
Message from the Morning Man: Sandbags
Forum held at Tema meant to reaffirm cadres group as major organ in NDC – Ben Ephson
Kwasi Korang: NPP leadership should be bold and stop the Bawumia camp from campaigning