Audio By Carbonatix
Chelsea striker Didier Drogba is likely to miss the start of the season after undergoing a groin operation.
The club described the procedure performed on the Ivory Coast international as "minimally invasive".
And it is expected that Drogba, 32, will return to full training in about three weeks.
That estimate would, however, put him out of the Charity Shield match against Manchester United on 8 August and the start of the Premier League campaign.
A short statement on Chelsea's official website said he had been troubled by a groin injury for part of last season and the decision to have the operation on Friday was intended to "optimise his rehabilitation".
Drogba has been a prolific scorer for Chelsea since joining them from French club Marseille in July 2004 for a reported fee of £24m and was on target 37 times during the 2009-10 season to help the team to a first Premier League and FA Cup Double.
He then went to the World Cup with the Ivory Coast squad and despite fracturing his right arm in a pre-tournament warm-up game, played in all three group matches wearing a protective cast.
Drogba scored in the 3-1 defeat by Brazil as the Elephants failed to progress to the last 16.
Chelsea have a serious of injury concerns ahead of the new Premier League campaign, which they will begin with a home match against newly promoted West Brom on 14 August.
New signing Yossi Benayoun also has a groin problem, first-choice goalkeeper Petr Cech is expected to be out for about a month because of a calf injury and defender Alex hurt his thigh in training.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
7 minutes -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
16 minutes -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
22 minutes -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
23 minutes -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
1 hour -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
2 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
2 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
2 hours -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
3 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
3 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
3 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
3 hours -
Nestlé Ghana, ECOM Ghana hand over 6-unit classroom block to Adarkwa Methodist Primary School
3 hours -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
3 hours -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
3 hours