Audio By Carbonatix
Her Worship Rosemary Abena Gyimah, presiding over the Madina District Court, has directed the legal representatives of Horgli Wise Roland to ensure his appearance before the court on March 16.
The directive follows the accused person’s failure to appear in court despite being duly served with summons.
Horgli Wise Roland is currently standing trial over allegations of threatening harm and obstructing a Revenue Officer of the Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), identified as Torgbe Agbeti Dordoe, in the lawful execution of his official duties.
The case has drawn attention to concerns about the safety of public officers and the challenges they face while enforcing regulations, particularly at sensitive entry points such as the country’s main international airport.
According to the court, the accused’s absence at the previous sitting was unacceptable, especially after a summon had been properly served on him. In response, Her Worship Rosemary Abena Gyimah instructed the lawyers representing Horgli Wise Roland to take responsibility for producing their client in court on the next adjourned date.
The prosecution’s case is based on an incident alleged to have occurred on February 15, 2025, at the Kotoka International Airport. Mr. Roland is accused of obstructing Officer Torgbe while the latter was carrying out a lawful search on his luggage upon arrival at the airport.
It is alleged that the accused resisted the clearance process and attempted to prevent the Customs officer from examining his items, which reportedly included six packages.
In his formal complaint to the authorities, Officer Torgbe detailed the events surrounding the incident, alleging that the accused person not only obstructed his duties but also issued serious threats against his life.
Officer Torgbe stated that "That during the clearance process, passenger Wise Roland Horgli threatened my life by stating that he would use Nima Boys to attack me outside my work place, he obstructed my lawful duty, and verbally assaulted me as can be seen on captured CCTV footages."
The complaint further alleges that the threats were repeated and escalated, with the accused person invoking alleged connections within the Customs hierarchy in an attempt to intimidate the officer.
"That the said passenger threatened to attack me outside my office space using Nima Boys. He threatened to leverage on his network with Customs Top Management to get me interdicted and eventually sacked by fabricating stories of me all because I insisted to examine his six packages."
Officer Torgbe added, “That the said passenger threatened to attack me outside my office space asing Nima Boys He threatened to leverage on his network with Customs Top Management to get me interdicted and eventually sacked by fabricating stories of me all because I insisted to examine his six packages."
Officer Torgbe indicated that the incident was formally reported to the Airport Police Station, where a case docket was subsequently prepared against the accused. However, he expressed concern that despite lodging a successful complaint, the case had not progressed as expected. He therefore invoked the authority of the court to ensure that the matter is properly adjudicated.
"I respectfully come under section 61 of Act30,1960, to, request the mandate of the Magistrate's jurisdictional power to cause the said passenger Wise Roland Horgli be brought to face the law for his unlawful conduct upon the lodge of my successful complaint at the Airport Police Station where a case docket was prepared on him, but has since been retained without seeing the light of day in court."
The case has been adjourned to March 16, when the court expects the accused person to be present to respond to the charges against him, as the court continues to stress the importance of accountability and respect for lawful authority.
Latest Stories
-
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
5 minutes -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
10 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
13 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
16 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
26 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
34 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
34 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
47 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
48 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
52 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
2 hours