Xavi has declared Philippe Coutinho would be a welcome addition at Barcelona, adding that he has no doubts the Liverpool star would make the grade at Camp Nou.
The Brazilian playmaker has been generating plenty of headlines of late, with his efforts in the Premier League reported to be drawing admiring glances from La Liga.
And Xavi, who is no stranger to what it takes to make the cut at Barcelona, considers the Samba star to be a "special" player and one whose current form establishes him as one of the best midfielders in Europe.
The World Cup winner is unsurprised the 24-year-old has been linked with the Spanish champions, hailing Coutinho as part of an elite group of talent that would improve Luis Enrique’s squad in Catalunya.
However, the Catalan insists there is no rush for Coutinho to take that leap, with it important that he remains focused on the present and ensures that his standards are not allowed to dip.
Xavi told Goal: “Coutinho is a player I have always thought is special – but under [Liverpool coach Jurgen] Klopp he has gone up another level. On form there are not any better midfield players in Europe.
“He has always shown quality but now he is consistently playing well and that is good news for Liverpool if they want to really challenge for the title.
“He is playing under one of the most intelligent coaches in Europe. Klopp has a lot of experience at developing world-class players, so it is a good club for him to be at.”
On the Barcelona links, Xavi added: “When you play at the level he is there is always going to be talk, but for now he needs to ignore all that and stay focused, because I think Liverpool have a real chance this season.
“There are not many players that can improve Barcelona, but if you are asking me if he is one of them, on this form, I think he is. Technically he is very good. He would suit Barcelona's philosophy well.”
- ‘I’m on the run until this country shows me there are laws’ – Shatta Wale
- Fact-check: Did the NPP promise to build a harbour in Cape Coast?
- A flimsy excuse should not be given for denial of a visa to MPs – Sam George calls out Netherlands Ambassador
- We’re investigating Shatta Wale’s shooting claims – Police
- Funny Face arrested after threatening to kill his baby mama and commit suicide
- I no longer use a mobile phone – Kwabena Kwabena
- Komenda Sugar Factory: Mahama constructed roof before building foundation – Akufo-Addo
- Robbers made away with over ¢100k in alleged bullion van attack
- Akufo-Addo’s denial of promise to build harbour in Cape Coast is shocking – Abeiku Adams
- Man kills daughter, 16, after finding out she’s not his biological child
Digital currency space needs to be explored with all seriousness – Julian Opuni
Man exhumes corpse at Awutu Ayiresu; claims ghost ordered him
What it means if your boyfriend has a lot of female friends
Team up and start early – KNUST lecturer guides students on how to raise capital for own businesses
Authorities heed calls to revive trading activities at Obuasi Kunka Market
Anbariya Sunni Muslim group presents memorandum in support of anti-LGBTQ bill
FESPACO 2021: African film lovers come together in Ouagadougou
ECG installs smart prepaid meters at Agbogbloshie market
CAGD backtracks on ‘No Ghana Card, No Salary’ directive to public sector workers
Samuel Dowuona: Extra spectrum; bridging data capacity gap in Digital Ghana
Salah is extraordinary, says Simeone as his Atletico side prepare for Liverpool
Photos: Tema Central sewerage system collapse exposes residents to health hazard
ECG to disconnect GBC, Kumasi International Airport over debt
NBA preview: All you need to know ahead of the 75th anniversary season
Pastor whose prophecy triggered Shatta Wale’s fake shooting fiasco arrested