The Irish health minister will be seeking a “full account” after leftover vaccines were given to some relatives of staff at a Dublin hospital.
Stephen Donnelly said the incident, on January 8, at Coombe Maternity Hospital, “should not have happened”.
The hospital said that by 21:00 local time that day there were 16 vaccine doses left after 1,100 staff, GPs and health workers were vaccinated.
Apology after Dublin hospital gives staff relatives leftover Covid-19 vaccines.https://t.co/ozJW46p62b— BBC News NI (@BBCNewsNI) January 18, 2021
A spokesperson said the doses would have been discarded otherwise.
As first reported by the Irish Times, the hospital Master, Prof Michael O’Connell said that the decision had been taken to “ensure that not a single reconstituted vaccine was wasted.”
However, he apologised and said that “in hindsight, as master, I deeply regret that family members of employees were vaccinated and for that, I wholeheartedly apologise.”
In a statement on Monday, Mr Donnelly said he had been made aware “of a situation with regard to the administration of vaccines on Friday”.
“Trust in the vaccine programme is of critical importance and what happened should not have happened,” the statement added.
The health minister said a priority list for vaccination had been set out.
In the Republic of Ireland this is currently for frontline healthcare workers and residents and staff long-term residential care facilities.
“It does not include family members of healthcare workers,” said the minister.
The Coombe Hospital said the Health Service Executive (HSE) booking system and portal was not yet live.
Because of this it had not been possible to pre-book vaccinations and be sure of the number of vaccinations required.
The spokesperson said that the hospital “worked throughout the day, reconstituting the vials and making vaccines available to frontline workers.”
In a statement they added: “The team at the hospital proactively contacted the HSE to inform them of the additional available doses and actively sought out frontline workers to vaccinate.
“The hospital followed government guidelines and focussed on the two current priority groups”.
At the end of the day when 16 vaccine doses were left “and to ensure that vaccines were not wasted they were administered to family members of employees of the hospital”.
“Of the 16 recipients, nine were over 70 and the remaining seven were of varying age. It would not be appropriate for the hospital to comment on the individuals involved”.
Ireland received its first batch of the Pfizer-BioNtech Covid-19 vaccine on 26 December and the first vaccinations were administered on 29 December.
- World Cup 2022: Cristiano Ronaldo a ‘total genius’ for winning Portugal penalty – Fifa
- BoG pegs cedi depreciation to dollar at 54%
- Bawumia launches $450m Gulf of Guinea Social Cohesion Project
- Bright Simons: Ghana’s 2023 Budget: A missed opportunity
- Ghana’s reserves fall to 2.9 months of import cover in October 2022; trade surplus hits $1.87bn
- HITZ Old Skuuls Reunion: Outdoor games get old students at the edge of their seats
- I hope Afriyie Barnieh will be used in one of the games at the World Cup – Hearts of Oak General Manager
- Messi scores in vital Argentina win over Mexico
- Photos and videos: Artistes thrill patrons at HITZ Skuuls Reunion
- Government promises more support to Ghana Police
- 2022 World Cup: We didn’t ‘over-respect’ Portugal – Otto Addo
- Take tough decisions in life – GNPC boss to Presec Legon students
- Kelvin Tutu talks accountability in new single, ‘Fa kye’
- BOST MD emerges Petroleum CEO of the Year 2022
- 6th Ghana Energy Awards honours 31 individuals, companies
- 2022 World Cup: ‘Black Stars still have a big chance of making last 16’ – Otto Addo
- ‘We don’t want any mining activities on our land’ – Mampong Traditional Council insists
- How to let go of a married man, even if you still love him
- Otto Addo picks Germany as favourite to win World Cup
- My ex got married and I’m single and completely heartbroken
- WHO convenes Africa regional policy dialogue on investment and protection of health workforce
- 2022 World Cup: Otto Addo wary of Son Heung-min threat ahead of South Korea clash
- 2022 World Cup: ‘We will see a passionate Black Stars against South Korea – Otto Addo
- ‘It feels like it never left’ – Revitalised HITZ Skuul Reunion wins patrons’ hearts
- Equatorial Guinea: World’s longest-serving president to continue 43-year-rule