The trial of #FixTheCountry Movement convener, Oliver Barker-Vomawor, has taken a rather interesting twist even after he was granted bail.
Hours after his bail application was granted on Wednesday morning, members of the Movement say they are yet to locate the crime officers responsible for finalising his departure from police detention.
One of them, Felicity Nelson, suspects the development forms part of a grand scheme to frustrate the activist and prolong his predicament.
“Oliver has been able to provide all the necessary things to meet his bail conditions… But unfortunately, the crime officer, they don’t know where he is. He is currently not here. He is the one supposed to go back to the registrar of the court and show that Oliver has been able to meet all the bail conditions and actually release him and he is nowhere to be found,” she explained.
The Cambridge PhD student has been granted a ¢2 million bail by a Tema High Court.
Mr Barker-Vormawor is to provide two sureties; one of whom should deposit documents to his landed property in execution of the bail.
The activist is facing treason felony charges after a social media post threatening a coup.
He is also required to report to the police once a week.
Jubilation erupted outside the court over the announcement among his supporters who waited in anticipation.
But the elation was short-lived after a bizarre twist of events.
Felicity Nelson told JoyNews that all efforts to gain access to the crime officers have proven futile.
“The police are deliberately frustrating the process. Hopefully, if we are able to locate the crime officer today, he will be released today. But if not, then we don’t know. It may be tomorrow or the day after that,” she said on Wednesday.
The campaigner was surprised that a police officer will be unavailable at post during such a critical moment without leaving behind any way of being reached.
A healthy-looking Mr Barker-Vormawor was also spotted being whisked back into the police custody while his supporters cheer him on.
On February 10, Mr Barker-Vormawor took to social media to threaten a coup following pictures emerging from the Majority Leader’s 65th birthday bash showing an ‘E-levy’-designed cake.
He posted, “If this E-Levy passes after this cake bullshit, I will do the coup myself. Useless Army!”
In a subsequent post, he explained the context in which he used the word coup.
He was arrested on February 11 at the Kotoka International Airport, upon arriving from the United Kingdom.
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- Independent Power Producers threaten to cut power supply by June 30
- NPP flagbearership race: Supporters pick form for Dr Afriyie Akoto
- Yamoah Cadman wraps up 2023 NCAA-II outdoor season as All-American, other Ghanaians impress
- UBA Ghana shares its rich culture on Africa Day
- Ghana records 1,462 Covid-19 related deaths in three years
- Ken Addy worried live musical instruments will fade out
- Barca legends Alba, Busquets bid emotional farewell to Camp Nou
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Edem Agbana commends Adentan and Ring-Road Central Rotaract clubs for their donation to Tadzewu M/A Basic School
- Ashanti Region Super Zonals: OKESS and St. Louis triumph as T.I Ahmadiyya lose top spots
- Fitch Solutions maintains 2.9% growth rate forecast for Ghana 2023
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Review of flagship programmes: Let’s not touch Free SHS – Kwame Pianim
- Joseph Paintsil scores brace as Genk cruise past Club Brugge
- Turkish election victory for Erdogan leaves nation divided
- Lawrence Agyekum & Forson Amankwah win Austrian league title with Red Bull Salzburg