Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana’s coach Goran Stevanovic says the decision to exclude in-form Andre Dede Ayew from the squad that played Sudan was motivated by a prohibitive FIFA law while goalkeeper Richard Kingson has been left out because he is clubless.
Countries must inform clubs of their decision to invite players for international matches at least 14 days before a game.
At the time European clubs were notified of Ghana's decision to invite their players for the Sudan game, Ayew was suffering from a groin injury.
The list was submitted on September 24, to meet the timeline for the match on October 8. Four days after the deadline had elapsed, Ayew recovered to play for Marseille in their Champions League clash Dortmund and he excelled by scoring two goals.
The Serbian manager says Ayew's exclusion was because of fears that he could not be fit to play in the game in Omdurman.
“Dede was injured weeks before the Sudan game and I must submit the list to clubs at least two weeks before,” Stevanovic said.
“I could not be sure if he would recover in time for the game and I think I made the good choice.”
Stevanovic insists the Marseille youngster has not been axed from the team and could be in line for a call up in the next game.
“For me I don't see any problems with the players who missed the squad this time because the next time other players can be called,” Stevanovic said.
This is not the first time Stevanovic has been faced with a problem with Andre Ayew's injury.
The Marseille player was part of the team Stevanovic invited in his first game in charge during their friendly with Togo in Belgium earlier this year.
In the case of Kingson, Stevanovic said it was difficult to invite the goalkeeper who has not played active football since being released by English side Blackpool last June.
“For Richard Kingson, he does not have a club at the moment. For a goalkeeper in this situation it is very difficult,” Stevanovic said.
Though he did not have a club, Kingson had been the number one until the arrival of goalkeeper Adam Larsen Kwarasey who is considered a competent replacement for the long-serving Kingson.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ebola outbreak poses massive challenges, warns nurse
41 minutes -
Bolivian minister’s convoy ambushed while overseeing roadblock clearance
1 hour -
One killed and many feared trapped under collapsed building in Philippines
1 hour -
Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran
2 hours -
Conte to leave Napoli a year after winning Serie A
2 hours -
Iraola signs off after writing new Bournemouth chapter
2 hours -
Fifi Folson marks 20 years on air with Thanksgiving Service, launches teen gospel initiative
2 hours -
The moment that broke Guardiola on day a decade of glory ended
2 hours -
Raducanu beaten in French Open first round
2 hours -
Sabalenka cuts media short as French Open players protest
2 hours -
Ghana’s Jada Yankey clocks new personal best at AP Race London International
3 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Berekum Chelsea end season on high with win over Bechem
3 hours -
Alleged shooting of chief’s brother by galamseyers triggers tension at Gwira Ampansie
3 hours -
Livestream: The Probe examines New Decentralisation Policy
4 hours -
Enterprise Insurance pays over GH¢280m in claims in 2025
4 hours