Audio By Carbonatix
DHL Express is suspending deliveries to the US worth more than $800 (£603) because of a "significant increase" in red tape at customs following the introduction of Donald Trump's new tariff regime.
The delivery giant said it will temporarily stop shipments from companies in all countries to American consumers on Monday "until further notice".
It added that business-to-business shipments will still go ahead, "though they may also face delays".
Previously, packages worth up to $2,500 could enter the US with minimal paperwork but due to tighter customs checks that came into force alongside Trump's tariffs earlier this month, the threshold has been lowered.
DHL said that the change "has caused a surge in formal customs clearances, which we are handling around the clock".
It said that while it is working to "scale up and manage this increase, shipments worth over $800, regardless of origin, may experience multi-day delays".
The company said it will still deliver packages worth less than $800, which can be sent to the US with minimal checks.
But the White House is set to clamp down on deliveries under $800 - specifically those sent from China and Hong Kong - on 2 May when it closes a loophole allowing low-value packages to enter the US without incurring any duties.
The removal of the so-called "de minimis" rule will impact the likes of the fast-fashion firm Shein and Temu, the low-cost retail giant.
Shein and Temu have both warned that they will increase prices "due to recent changes in global trade rules and tariffs".
The Trump administration has claimed that "many shippers" in China "hide illicit substances and conceal the true contents of shipments sent to the US through deceptive shipping practices".
Under an excutive order, the White House said the measures were aimed at "addressing the synthetic opioid supply chain" which it said "play a significant role in the synthetic opioid crisis in the US".
Beijing has said that the opioid fentanyl is a "US problem" and China has the strictest drug policies in the world.
Last week, Hongkong Post said it was suspending packages sent to the US by sea and, from 27 April, would stop accepting parcels destined for America.
It said: "The US is unreasonable, bullying and imposing tariffs abusively."
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod is the best we’ve done with our gold resources yet – Kofi Bentil
2 minutes -
‘I never insulted Afenyo-Markin, he got the response he deserved’ – Sammy Gyamfi
15 minutes -
We’ve moved gold purchases to Interbank rate – GoldBod CEO
38 minutes -
‘We’re not milking the state like a parasite’ – Sammy Gyamfi defends GoldBod fees
44 minutes -
‘You can’t call it losses today after defending it’ – Sammy Gyamfi to NPP on Gold-for-Oil Programme
47 minutes -
Unclaimed car? Efua Abban’s experience with shipping a car to Ghana from the United States
58 minutes -
GoldBod revenue comes from legally approved fees – Sammy Gyamfi
1 hour -
Ghana cautions Tijjaniya Muslim pilgrims over road travel to Senegal
1 hour -
Mfantsiman old girls rally support for ICT library as school marks 66th Speech Day
1 hour -
We won’t stay silent on deliberate smear campaigns – GoldBod CEO
2 hours -
Ghana’s grid not the strongest – Jinapor admits as gov’t eyes critical power investments
2 hours -
I support calls for Energy Minister to appear before Parliament – Sagnarigu MP
2 hours -
Frequent power trips alarming; urgent measures needed to prevent nationwide blackouts – Ben Boakye
2 hours -
Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists
2 hours -
ACEP warns frequent power trips expose weaknesses in Ghana’s transmission system
2 hours