Audio By Carbonatix
Two weeks after the settlement of the impasse between the authorities of the Duffor Methodist Basic School in the Dangme West District and the community, the school remains closed.
This is because the terms of the agreement reached between the school and the community have not been fulfilled.
The parties at the end of a series of meetings brokered by the District Chief Executive (DGE) Emmanuel A. Lartey, had agreed that those involved in the beating of the head teacher should be arrested and prosecuted, while the community was to write an undertaking to ensure the safety of the teachers.
But two weeks after the settlement, neither the culprits nor the community had fulfilled their part of the bargain, for which reason the school authorities had refused to re-open the school.
As a result, the over 70 pupils, including those writing the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) next April, are at home.
A visit to the school on Monday revealed empty classrooms. Mr. Lartey said on Monday that he had done his part by bringing the parties together for the amicable settlement and what is left now is for the education authorities to take steps to reopen the school.
He said the community, at a meeting last Thursday, assured the school authorities of its co-operation towards improving the results of the school.
Mr. Lartey, therefore, appealed to the leadership of the Greater Accra branch of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) to soften their stand on the issue and allow the school to reopen.
Meanwhile, a GNAT source has told the Times that the wholesale transfer demand by the teachers, had been put on hold.
It said four of the youth who attacked the headteacher were Tuesday arraigned before the Circuit Court at Krobo Odiunase.
They all pleaded not guilty and would appear again on Friday, February 10.
The Times on Tuesday, January 24 reported that irate youth at Duffor invaded the only school in the community, assaulted the headteacher, threw her out and locked up the classrooms, in protest against the continued poor performance of the pupils at the BECE.
Numbering about 20, the youth, clad in red and singing war songs reportedly entered the office of Ms Juliana Teiko Quarshie 55, and carried her together with the chair she was sitting on, and flung her to the ground outside the compound.
As the school pupils wailed and other teachers pleaded, the mob turned on them, assaulted and drove all of them away. They also assaulted the staff of a nearby clinic, who gave Ms. Quarshie refuge.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
3 minutes -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
15 minutes -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
17 minutes -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
34 minutes -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
38 minutes -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
39 minutes -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
40 minutes -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
43 minutes -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
43 minutes -
UN security official meets GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi
48 minutes -
Two detained after French influencer’s scorched body found in vineyard
49 minutes -
ORAL has been reduced to a tool for political convenience – Kwesi Botchway Jnr
50 minutes -
6 in 10 businesses fail to properly account for VAT – GRA
51 minutes -
US retail giant receives $1bn boost from tariff refunds
59 minutes -
Angélique Kidjo makes history for Africa with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
59 minutes