Audio By Carbonatix
Dutch Foreign Minister Sigrid Kaag has resigned over her handling of the Afghan evacuation crisis last month.
She is the first Western government official to step down over the chaos that followed the Taliban takeover.
Dutch MPs had passed a motion of censure against her, saying the government was too slow to respond and left behind many Afghans who should have been able to flee.
Ms Kaag said she stood by her actions but accepted the MPs' verdict.
She acknowledged the government had been slow and muddled when reacting to warnings about a surge of the Taliban.
The Netherlands managed to evacuate around 2,000 people from Afghanistan in the last two weeks of August.
But hundreds of local staff and people who had worked as interpreters with Dutch troops were left behind.
Ms Kaag admitted the government had acted on the basis of "wrong assumptions", but insisted the Taliban's rapid rise to power had stunned everyone, "including the Taliban itself".
Despite this, Ms Kaag said the MPs' vote left her with no choice but to step down from her post.
"Parliament has judged that the cabinet has not acted responsibly," Ms Kaag said. "The minister must go if the policy is rejected."
Ms Kaag remains the leader of the liberal D66 party, and steered it to second place in elections last March. She is due to take part in weekend talks on forming a new coalition government. A former diplomat, she told MPs on Thursday that foreign affairs was her passion and her role as foreign minister a vocation.
However, she is not expected to travel to London with Prime Minister Mark Rutte on Friday for talks with Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
Sigrid Kaag is the first foreign minister to resign over the fallout of the Taliban's takeover. Her cabinet colleague, Defence Minister Ank Bijleveld, was also censured but did not step down.
UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who was heavily criticised for remaining on holiday as Kabul fell to the militants, was replaced in a government reshuffle this week.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
21 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
27 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
1 hour -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
5 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours