Audio By Carbonatix
Egyptian police fired tear gas on Saturday to disperse a crowd of people who gathered in a village near the Nile Delta to prevent the burial of a doctor who died of coronavirus, according to local newspapers and footage on social media.
The interior ministry said 23 people were arrested, and the public prosecutor said his office will investigate the incident.
Footage posted online showed dozens of people gathered in front of an ambulance to stop it from entering the village’s burial grounds over fears that the body could spread the virus. They scattered as police fired canisters of tear gas.
Egypt’s Dar al-Ifta, the central authority in charge of issuing religious edicts or fatwas, said on Saturday that all those who die due to the coronavirus must be afforded their full religious burial rites and “honoured in death.”
The bodies of those killed by COVID-19 are washed carefully and placed in a sealed body bag so as not to spread infection, a health ministry spokesman, Khaled Megahed, told the Saudi-owned Egyptian broadcaster MBC Masr.
Egypt on Saturday registered 145 new cases of the coronavirus, bringing the total to 1939 cases including 146 deaths.
Its doctor’s syndicate said earlier that to date 43 doctors had contracted the disease and three had died.
The Arab world’s most populous country has enforced a nightly curfew, banned large public gatherings, and closed schools and universities in a bid to curb the spread of the virus.
While the government has placed several villages on lockdown after cases of the coronavirus were detected, it has said it would not be possible to do so for large metropolitan areas.
Latest Stories
-
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
8 minutes -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
17 minutes -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
18 minutes -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
37 minutes -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
41 minutes -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
50 minutes -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
50 minutes -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
1 hour -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
1 hour -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
1 hour -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
2 hours -
Banks’ sustainable success will be defined less by interest margins – PwC
3 hours -
CJ Baffor-Bonnie was part of ‘grand conspiracy to remove Torkornoo – Afenyo-Markin alleges
3 hours -
The GIPA Act: Resetting Ghana’s investment framework
4 hours -
GIPA secures investor leads at Invest Fest 2026
4 hours