Ghana’s Emmanuel ‘Game Boy’ Tagoe’s (31-1-0 15KO’s) fight with Ryan Garcia (20-0 17KO’s) will not be happening after the American accepted to fight for World Boxing Council (WBC) lightweight interim title instead of World Boxing Organisation (WBO) eliminator.
The WBO ordered a final eliminator between former IBO Lightweight champion Tagoe and Garcia to determine the next mandatory for title holder Vasyl Lomachenko.
This was after undefeated Garcia had been ordered by the WBC to face number 2 ranked Luke Campbell for their interim belt and become mandatory for WBC lightweight champion Devin Haney.
The fight was ordered by the WBC on July 1, with García—after discussing with his promoter, Golden Boy Promotions—agreeing to take part in that.
“Golden Boy has confirmed Ryan Garcia’s participation in the fight [versus] Luke Campbell,” Mauricio Sulaiman, president of the WBC announced on Monday. “Great tournament in the lightweight division.”
Tagoe will now likely face the WBO’s next highest available contender, which presently is Ukraine’s Denys Berinchyk (13-0, 9KOs).
- ‘You’re yet to be confirmed’- Kyei Mensah-Bonsu tells Ato Forson in ‘clash’ over Assin North by-election
- Presidential staffer declares support for Alan Kyerematen
- We won’t withhold our approval of Chief Justice nominee – Minority backs Gertrude Torkornoo
- Midwife delivers baby in speeding commercial vehicle
- Nogokpo: ‘The energies of the land will act’ if Agyinasare defies 14-day ultimatum – Nogokpo spokesperson
- If you have God, you have everything, you lose God and lose everything –Justice Jones Dotse
- Assin North By-election: Who has the edge – An analysis
- Work as a technocrat, don’t meddle in local politics – John Jinapor tells World Bank Country rep
- NSMQ 2023: 34 schools battle it out for Regional Qualifiers in Western Region
- Our June 30th ultimatum still remains – IPPs remind government
- EC member dragged to Supreme Court over alleged NPP affiliation
- Global growth to slow to 2.1% in 2023; prosepcts clouded by financial risks – World Bank
- Kenya to turn cult forest into a memorial site
- Rwanda genocide suspect unfit to stand trial, UN court rules
- Karim Benzema joins Saudi champions Al-Ittihad after Real Madrid exit
- Government sends proposal on debt restructuring to official creditors
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, June 7, 2023
- Kejetia traders call for implementation of fire recommendations by local government
- Gyakye Quayson shouldn’t have offered himself for election in the first place – Kwaku Paintsil
- Car washer, 20 jailed 18 months for unlawful entry and stealing
- Man, unemployed sentenced 6 years for stealing
- Assin North MP case: Supreme Court veered off the real issue before them – Ayariga
- EC’s arguments defective in logic and betray Commission’s appreciation of elementary English – NDC
- Kumawu roads construction: Residents unhappy with pace and quality of work
- NDC’s Kwesi Amankwaa was not a registered voter in Kumawu – EC reveals in rebuttal