Michael Essien made his debut for Real Madrid in Tuesday’s Champions League thrilling 3-2 victory at home against Manchester City.
Essien was handed a surprise start by manager Jose Mourinho in an attacking midfield role in his first match of the season.
He made a transfer deadline day switch from the European champions to the Bernabeu and his performance on the night could earn him more playing time.
The on-loan Chelsea player gave a good account of himself but after 65 minutes he had to make way for Mesut Ozil in the 65th minute.
But Real Madrid fell behind few minutes after the substitution.
Yaya Toure burst through the middle of the park for a two-on-two break, before sliding in the Bosnian Edin Dzeko who wrong-footed Iker Casillas for 1-0.
Mourinho responded as he had in previous games at Getafe and Sevilla, with attacking substitutions, by bringing on both Luka Modric and Karim Benzema.
It immediately paid off as Real equalised as Marcelo benefited from extra space to see his third attempt from range take a deflection and loop over Hart.
City took the lead from a set-play, as Aleksander Kolarov’s in-swinging free-kick from the right beat everyone to curl beyond Casillas into the far post.
But, the lead lasted just a minute as Benzema turned on the edge of the area and finished sharply beyond Hart for his first goal in four months.
Real continued to push for the winner and got it as Ronaldo cut in from the left and his bouncing effort fell under Hart and into the net for 3-2 as the game entered stoppages.
- Akuapem Poloo granted ¢80k bail
- ECG releases ‘dumsor’ timetable; outages to begin May 10
- Murder suspect claims he mistook aeronautical engineer for a pig at Akyem Asuboa
- Akufo-Addo announces nominees for deputy ministerial positions, elevates Charles Adu-Boahen
- Kunbour mustn’t behave like a serial caller – Ade Coker
- Kasoa Opeikuma businessman killers arrested at Buduburam
- Certify your Covid-19 Corruption Risk Assessment or we will use it as toilet paper – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful to CDA
- Contracts awarded to Zoomlion, Frontiers Healthcare Solution, others were in breach of procurement practices – Report
- Kotoko to pay Maxwell Konadu $41,000 for breach of contract
- NCA to shut down 49 TV stations for operating without license
Man found dead on farm at Damongo
Get rich mentality driving youth into illegal mining – Dr Frank Boateng
Owning a home; consider actual purchase and recurrent expenditure
Philanthropist drills mechanised borehole for Saabisi Primary School in Upper East
My legal experience earned me deputy ministerial slot – Egyapa Mercer
‘We won’t accept such stories’ – Family of murdered aeronautical engineer reacts to suspects account
Aeronautic engineer was shot 12 times in the neck and chest; Family rejects account of 3 suspects
International Labour Organisation organizes workshop on how to raise funds for SMEs
George Floyd murder: Joe Biden says Derek Chauvin guilty verdict can be ‘moment of significant change’
Suspect who slit throat of girlfriend in Ho remanded in police custody
Eric Bonsu Agyabeng: Carnage on our roads – Tripod Beta perspective
Jerry Avornyotse: Traces of dictatorship creeping back to our democracy
George Floyd murder: Minneapolis police to face US federal probe
Police arrest 40 suspected criminals at Kasoa in Wednesday morning swoop
Build more gyms away from Accra – Bukom Banku to government