The Police in the Bono East region have started investigations to unravel circumstances leading to the killing of a top Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ali Ahmed Maikano.
The deceased was reportedly travelling to his home in Prang from Kajegu, where he was a guest speaker for an event but was shot by suspected highway robbers.
Narrating what happened, the Bono East Regional Commander, DCOP Asumadu Okyere-Darko said one Abdul-Mumuni came to them to lodge a complaint on Tuesday.
He told them that at about 7 pm that day, he was travelling on a motorbike with the popular son of the late Tijaniyya Cleric Ahmed Maikano Jallow when the unfortunate incident happened.
According to him, upon reaching the Abromase road, some unknown assailants shot at them.
He said Abdul-Mumuni told them he escaped and rushed to the police station to report the incident.
“The police accompanied him to the scene, where we found the body of the victim with a gunshot wound on his right leg,” the Bono East Regional Commander, told Joy News’ Anass Sabit.
He added, “At that moment, he was dead. Some robberies had happened there before Abdul Mumuni and the victim also got there.”
The police say they have started an investigation into the matter and are asking the general public to be forthcoming with information to apprehend culprits.
Meanwhile, there have been several tributes pouring in since reports of the death was announced.
Vice-President Mahamudu Bawumia described the deceased as a man of peace who worked for the unity of the Muslim community in the country.
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- Gomoa Okyereko accident: Man narrates how his family of 6 survived horrific crash
- Rest in Peace – Social media users mourn Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo
- Arnold Schwarzenegger says friend Bruce Willis will be remembered as a ‘great star’ and a ‘kind man’
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Rampaging youth destroy property in Obuasi over detention of illegal miners
- Our African operations are profitable, contribute 50% to Group earnings says UBA Africa CEO
- David K. Awusi: Let’s stop the stigma to end adolescent pregnancy and reduce maternal mortality
- NYA urges youth in private sector to adopt modern trends of doing business
- Fixed investment to grow at a low 1.3% in 2023 – Fitch Solutions
- Canoe and Fishing Gear Owners Association of Ghana builds capacity of fisherfolks
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Trust Sports Emporium reiterates desire to support lesser-funded sports
- We’ll ensure Kpessa Whyte propagates integrity of the court – Law School Director
- MTN holds AGM, declares dividend of 12.4 pesewas per share
- Hohoe to host 44th NDC June 4 uprising anniversary
- NPP opens nomination for Assin North Constituency by-election