The Police in the Bono East region have started investigations to unravel circumstances leading to the killing of a top Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ali Ahmed Maikano.
The deceased was reportedly travelling to his home in Prang from Kajegu, where he was a guest speaker for an event but was shot by suspected highway robbers.
Narrating what happened, the Bono East Regional Commander, DCOP Asumadu Okyere-Darko said one Abdul-Mumuni came to them to lodge a complaint on Tuesday.
He told them that at about 7 pm that day, he was travelling on a motorbike with the popular son of the late Tijaniyya Cleric Ahmed Maikano Jallow when the unfortunate incident happened.
According to him, upon reaching the Abromase road, some unknown assailants shot at them.
He said Abdul-Mumuni told them he escaped and rushed to the police station to report the incident.
“The police accompanied him to the scene, where we found the body of the victim with a gunshot wound on his right leg,” the Bono East Regional Commander, told Joy News’ Anass Sabit.
He added, “At that moment, he was dead. Some robberies had happened there before Abdul Mumuni and the victim also got there.”
The police say they have started an investigation into the matter and are asking the general public to be forthcoming with information to apprehend culprits.
Meanwhile, there have been several tributes pouring in since reports of the death was announced.
Vice-President Mahamudu Bawumia described the deceased as a man of peace who worked for the unity of the Muslim community in the country.
- #FixTheCountry: How an IGP meet-up turned into a ‘Cabinet Meeting’, without the IGP – Convenor reveals
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- We tried to have children for about 10 years – Ebo Whyte’s wife recounts
- #FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
- I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
- It’ll take time for government to get economy back on track – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah
- Vehicle towing cost to be borne by insurance industry – NIC Commissioner
- Benjamin Azamati qualifies for Tokyo Olympics 200m event
- Electoral Commission has no beef with NDC – Bossman Asare
- #FixTheCountry: Bang your utensils, toot your horns on Sunday – Conveners announce format for virtual protest
Let’s jealously defend the Constitution – NCCE
Prof Sitsofe Enyonam Anku
Angry Ghanaian youth take #FixTheCountry protests to social media after court injunction
Mothers’ Day message from First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo
GAF appeals for support for 37 Military Hospital
#FixTheCountry convener’s claim of phone cloning false and baseless – Oppong Nkrumah
#FixTheCountry: Bang your utensils, toot your horns on Sunday – Conveners announce format for virtual protest
Collapsed gold mine kills at least 15 in Guinea
Mother’s Day: Your hard work will never go unrewarded – Lordina Mahama
AU Heads of States direct AfCFTA negotiations to be concluded by June
Electoral Commission has no beef with NDC – Bossman Asare
Joe Ligon: America’s ‘longest juvenile lifer’ on 68 years in prison
Gunmen kill seven police officers in Nigeria
China rocket debris ‘disintegrates over Indian Ocean’
Playback: Church service with Pastor Mensa Otabil